1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate research opportunity

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    Okay, so here's the deal. I spoke with my undergraduate adviser yesterday and he gave me the names of several faculty on campus who were looking for undergraduate students to get involved in research. I have contacted both of them and have appointments to speak with them within the next 2 weeks. One professor is involved in theoretical nuclear physics. Currently he is working on projects dealing with neutron stars. The other professor is involved in material research and technology. I am not sure exactly what she is doing but here web page indicates semi and superconductors.

Both have expressed much interest in me and from there emails it seems like I have my pick between the two. My question is, does it matter what type of research you are involved in in undergraduate studies? I am hoping to pursue theoretical/ astrophysics in graduate school so the first professor seems like a better opportunity. I am interested in both and if it was possible, would love to get involved with both.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2
    From what I've heard, it doesnt matter what type of undergrad research you do. If you do all of your undergrad research in say condensed matter, you can still go to grad school for astrophysics
  4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    I would go with whatever you think would be fun to do because then doing the research will not feel like work at all. I spent my summer working in theoretical astro/plasma physics and do not even feel like I worked a single day this summer.

Keep in mind though, theoretical work will be extremely difficult if you are not so far along in your education. Speaking from experience, understanding the math theorists use, and then eventually using that math to write simulations etc. -- is intimidating.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?