Hi, I m trying to find out, what is imaginary unit/number. i^2

In summary: Imagine a similar picture, but this time instead of the real line, we're going to use the imaginary line, running up and down. Zero is still in the middle, but now the positive numbers are going up and the negative numbers are going down. We can use tick marks to mark the integers going up and down.We need to have some way of expanding and contracting distances on this imaginary line. Remember that when we were working with the real line, we were able to multiply by positive numbers to stretch, and by negative numbers to flip. Well, we can just reuse the same operators. So if I want to stretch vertically by 5, I'll just multiply by 5. And if I want to flip up and down

But ε2 = 0 remember? Think about it. How do you find the inverse of a+bε? Rationalize the expression using ε2 = 0. Then find where the resulting expression is undefined.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

PlanckShift said:
But ε2 = 0 remember? Think about it. How do you find the inverse of a+bε? Rationalize the expression using ε2 = 0. Then find where the resulting expression is undefined.

But where is the inverse of ε?
Hint: It's 1/ε, which you said was undefined. It doesn't have an inverse, so your structure isn't a field.