Hi,I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter elnino7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Difficulty Figure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
elnino7
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following question, I don't know how to even start it. Any help would be appreciated
The question is, wave Pulse travel with the same speed down two wires made of different metals. The wires are stretched between the same two supports. If the tension in wire A is twice that in wire B, and the radius of the wire A is three times that of wire B, what is the ration of the densities of the metals in the two wires?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


elnino7 said:
Hi,
I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the following question, I don't know how to even start it. Any help would be appreciated
The question is, wave Pulse travel with the same speed down two wires made of different metals. The wires are stretched between the same two supports. If the tension in wire A is twice that in wire B, and the radius of the wire A is three times that of wire B, what is the ration of the densities of the metals in the two wires?

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Do you know this relationship?
velocity = sqrt (tension/mass per unit length)​

That (and formulas for volume and density) should mostly do it for you.
 


Just a tip: sometimes it's easier to plug in fake numbers than to work it out symbolically.