Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs bosom is this where energy becomes mass?

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    The Higgs bosons has no mass before it travels through the Higgs field. So is this the point where energy becomes mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2
    This - the OP's subject title - has the potential to be the greatest typo ever, even exceeding "space mites" for "space time".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bosom

edit: Better hope there isn't a lady named Higgs at CERN or she might be giving you a good kicking :-)

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    rorix: thanks for pointing out that typo....I must be waaay too focused on physics since I never even noticed it!!!!!

Charles:
    I don't think that's quite the idea....My understanding is that the higgs boson mass arises as a result of symmetry breaking....simultaneously with the field....I believe fermions theoretically acquire mass as you describe.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. Dec 13, 2011 #4
    The Higgs boson is the same thing as the higgs field. Your question makes no sense at all.

6. Dec 14, 2011 #5
    Here is a simple one line answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

If your question is "Why does the boson exhibit mass" a brief answer is
    "In empty space, the Higgs field has an amplitude different from zero; i.e. a non-zero vacuum expectation value. The existence of this non-zero vacuum expectation plays a fundamental role; it gives mass to every elementary particle that couples to the Higgs field, including the Higgs boson itself...." same link

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook