Higher physics - rearranging prob

• Thread starter jamespeterstu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves a nail being fired into a block of wood with a speed of 380 m/s and coming to rest after penetrating 60 mm. The task is to find the time taken for the nail to come to rest, assuming a constant retarding force. Using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, the value for acceleration is found to be -120333 m/s^2. Then, using the equation v = u + at, the time is calculated to be 0.0003157 seconds.
jamespeterstu

Homework Statement

A nail is fired from a nail gun into a fixed block of wood. The nail has a speed of 380 m s-1 just as it enters the wood.

The nail comes to rest after penetrating 60 mm into the wood.

Find the time taken for the nail to come to rest. Assume that the retarding force on the nail is constant as it penetrates the wood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/bitesize/higher/img/physics/mech_matt/analyse_motion/example1.gif

Homework Equations

u = 380 m s-1
v = 0
a = ?
t = ?
s = 60 x 10-3 m

The Attempt at a Solution

v2 = u2 + 2as
02 = 3802 + 2a x 60 x 10-3
a = -120333 m s-2

This was from a revision site so they gave the answer, however my problem is that I'm unsure on how to re-arrange the formula properly.

Having just started higher physics (scotland) this doesn't bode too well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Use another equation of motion, now that you have a value for a.

Varnick said:
HINT: Use another equation of motion, now that you have a value for a.

v = u +at
0= 380 + (-120333)t
t = 0.0003157

Is the answer given, I'm just having trouble getting my head around the re-arranging of formulae :/

1. What is the purpose of rearranging equations in higher physics?

The purpose of rearranging equations in higher physics is to manipulate mathematical expressions in order to solve for a desired variable or to simplify complex equations.

2. How do I rearrange equations in higher physics?

To rearrange equations in higher physics, you must follow the rules of algebra, including the use of inverse operations and maintaining equality. You may also use mathematical principles such as the distributive property or combining like terms.

3. Can I rearrange equations in higher physics in any order?

No, equations must be rearranged according to mathematical rules and principles in order to maintain equality and accurately solve for the desired variable.

4. Is it necessary to rearrange equations in higher physics?

In some cases, rearranging equations may not be necessary if the equation is already in a form that allows for solving for the desired variable. However, in more complex equations, rearranging may be necessary to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any tips for rearranging equations in higher physics?

Some tips for rearranging equations in higher physics include starting with the simplest operations first, keeping track of each step in the rearrangement process, and double-checking your work to ensure accuracy.