1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F=ma prob with electrons (They don't even act like particles )

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    F=ma prob with electrons (They don't even act like particles!!!)

Well here's the problem:

1. Electrons in an oscilloscope are accelerated from rest by a constant force of 8.0*10^16 N over a distance of 15mm. Find (a) the acceleration and (b) the final velocity.

Relevant equations:
    2. F=ma, v^2+u^2=2as, v=ut+1/2at^2

At any rate it's easy to find the acceleration of 1 electron, but I don't know how to obtain the mass of all of them. I tried to find the force needed to displace a mass of 1 electron (9.1093897*10^-31 kg) by 15mm and then simply cross multiplying the forces and accelerations, but since I don't know the time (since I don't know the speed of the electron) I'm flumoxed!

3. The attempt at a solution:
    F=ma => a= (8*10^16 N)/m(total)

a= (8*10^16 N)/(9.1093897*10^-31)x ;where is x =total no. of electrons

ax = 8.782147641^46 m/s^2

Again the final velocity is easy to get once I've gotten the acceleration. Any help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Treat each electron separately. Presumably, you are given the force on each electron, so find their acceleration.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    Agreed..

5. Oct 6, 2007 #4
    Unfortunately, you're only given the force acting on a group of electrons of unknown size.
    Sure if I knew the force acting on each electron it'd be easy!

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are over-interpreting the phrasing of the problem. It is easy! When they say: "Electons are..." they are talking about each electron. (Just like saying "Electrons have a mass of ....". How many electrons? One!)

Otherwise you would be correct: The problem would be impossible. A given force is exerted on an unknown mass. Find the acceleration. Sorry, no can do! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?