Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: F=ma prob with electrons (They don't even act like particles )

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1
    F=ma prob with electrons (They don't even act like particles!!!)

Well here's the problem:

1. Electrons in an oscilloscope are accelerated from rest by a constant force of 8.0*10^16 N over a distance of 15mm. Find (a) the acceleration and (b) the final velocity.

Relevant equations:
    2. F=ma, v^2+u^2=2as, v=ut+1/2at^2

At any rate it's easy to find the acceleration of 1 electron, but I don't know how to obtain the mass of all of them. I tried to find the force needed to displace a mass of 1 electron (9.1093897*10^-31 kg) by 15mm and then simply cross multiplying the forces and accelerations, but since I don't know the time (since I don't know the speed of the electron) I'm flumoxed!

3. The attempt at a solution:
    F=ma => a= (8*10^16 N)/m(total)

a= (8*10^16 N)/(9.1093897*10^-31)x ;where is x =total no. of electrons

ax = 8.782147641^46 m/s^2

Again the final velocity is easy to get once I've gotten the acceleration. Any help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Treat each electron separately. Presumably, you are given the force on each electron, so find their acceleration.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3
    Agreed..

5. Oct 6, 2007 #4
    Unfortunately, you're only given the force acting on a group of electrons of unknown size.
    Sure if I knew the force acting on each electron it'd be easy!

6. Oct 6, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are over-interpreting the phrasing of the problem. It is easy! When they say: "Electons are..." they are talking about each electron. (Just like saying "Electrons have a mass of ....". How many electrons? One!)

Otherwise you would be correct: The problem would be impossible. A given force is exerted on an unknown mass. Find the acceleration. Sorry, no can do! :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook