Highschool Physics VS University Physics

In summary: When you are programming, it feels like you are doing something important and useful. It's nice to have something like that in your life.
jimmyly
Hello, i am currently taking physics 11(first high school physics course, I'm from Canada i don't know what level that is in the states or UK) i am doing well i have >90% but the thing is i find it extremely boring... the class is going way too slow for me so i teach myself every chapter which is not in the curriculum. I guess where i find it boring is that we are using this book http://www.abebooks.com/9780133647495/Conceptual-Physics-High-School-Program-0133647498/plp which has next to no math( i really love math ).

being bored i have started to teach myself python, and will be teaching myself calculus in January after my precalculus 12 course.

my question are:
1) should i just master the basics i.e. Newton's laws of motions, memorize all the formulas, read the textbook 20 times... i have heard that the laws and formulas will keep coming up through out university that i will have them embedded in my mind.

2)Also, what other things can i do to maximize productivity? i have a tendency to push myself way beyond my limits and eventually burn out so nothing TOO advanced

3)I will be attending university Fall 2013 so i am wondering the difference between high school physics and university physics. obviously there will be a lot of math(which i am extremely excited about) but what else can i expect and prepare for what is coming up?

i guess my questions are all kind of related, but anyways thanks and i look forward to hearing what people have to say!

Physics news on Phys.org
1)Well, the better you are at understanding the basic laws of physics the better off you'll be when you see them again at the undergraduate level. Understand the concept and see how you can relate them different problems.

2)I like to keep things simple. One step at a time. Learn the concepts, learn the math. Right now this means keep mastering the algebra approach to physics, then at the same time learn the concepts in calculus. Once you learn derivatives and integration, you'll be ready to revisit physics again from a slightly different (but most similar prospective.)

3)Honestly, not much. At least not at first. The general physics course that science majors take is 'calculus' based, but you'll find 90% of all your problems will still be Algebra related. The Calculus will be there to explain how the equations can be derived and explain some more concepts in depth and maybe add a new type of problem into the mix, but in the end it'll be a lot of algebra. As you move on, you'll find more math, more theory and more focus on understanding the ideas at a deeper level and less on solving numerical problems.

Last edited:
1) I agree with MarneMath, though keep in mind that simply memorizing the equations is not the same as increasing your understanding. I'm of the opinion that even basic physics cannot be understood completely without at least a qualitative understanding of calculus as well.

2) If you're enjoying programming, that's a great thing to be comfortable with down the road. Just explore and see what kinds of interesting programs you can write.
As I mentioned, it would also be good, and probably relatively easy for you, to at least learn about the idea of derivatives and integrals conceptually (and think about how they might describe physical situations). Then just focus on the elementary power-rule at first, which is one of the most simple cases of taking derivatives and integrals. Just knowing what calculus is about qualitatively will help you understand physics more intuitively.

3) As MarneMath said, the difference for intro courses will not be too staggering... although I never took a non-calc based physics course, so I can't say that with 100% certainty. Most of the derivatives and integrals you need to do will not be very difficult compared to your pure calculus course; they are more about mathematical intuition than tricky calculations. Since you will have already taken some calculus, you probably don't need to worry about the math overwhelming you.

Hey jimmyly.

With regard to productivity, I would suggest you find something that you really want to become good at and stick at: if you are trying to be productive just so you can say you "were productive" then you will burn out quickly.

Also another tip is to find something where you can actually produce completed things that you can retain and use later. Programming is a good way to do this since you can always load up your code later on and not only look at later, but make use of it later on as well.

The last thing you want to do is do something that you can't actually see tangibly in some way: even though code is just 1's and 0's, it is like a novel in some ways and produces something of some kind of value (even if only to yourself in the beginning stages) and that is absolutely critical for continuing to be productive and also to be motivated.

Another thing: back up your work if you do a lot of programming. I have lost a tonne of all my early work because of fried hard drives, computer crashes, ruined floppy diskes (yeah we actually had those) and just really stupid errors.

If you are just starting out, start small and then the skies the limit.

I can tell you that there is a significant difference between high school physics and university physics. In high school, the focus is on building a foundation and understanding the basic concepts, while in university, the focus shifts to applying those concepts to real-world problems and conducting research.

To answer your first question, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the fundamental formulas. However, it is also important to have a deeper understanding of these concepts and how they relate to each other. Simply memorizing the formulas may not be enough to succeed in university physics.

To maximize productivity, I would recommend practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills. This will help you excel in university physics and also in your future scientific endeavors. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and avoid burning out. It is important to maintain a balance between challenging yourself and taking care of your well-being.

In terms of preparing for university physics, I would suggest continuing to challenge yourself and learn new concepts, such as teaching yourself calculus. Additionally, make sure to have a strong foundation in math and continue to practice problem-solving skills. As for what to expect in university physics, it will depend on the specific program and courses you take. However, you can expect a more rigorous and challenging curriculum, with a focus on applying concepts to real-world problems and conducting research.

Overall, it is great to see your enthusiasm for physics and your drive to continue learning. Keep up the good work and continue to challenge yourself, but make sure to also take care of yourself and avoid burning out. Best of luck in your future studies!

1. What is the main difference between high school physics and university physics?

The main difference between high school physics and university physics is the level of complexity and depth of understanding. High school physics focuses on basic concepts and equations, while university physics delves deeper into theoretical principles and mathematical concepts. University physics also involves more hands-on laboratory work and research projects.

2. Is high school physics sufficient preparation for university physics courses?

While high school physics provides a good foundation, it may not cover all the necessary topics and may not be as rigorous as university physics. It is recommended to take advanced or honors physics courses in high school to better prepare for university physics courses.

3. What are some of the common topics covered in high school physics compared to university physics?

High school physics typically covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, waves, and simple circuits. In university physics, these topics are covered in greater depth, and additional topics such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism are introduced.

4. Are the teaching methods different in high school physics and university physics?

Yes, the teaching methods in high school physics and university physics differ. In high school, teachers may use more demonstrations and hands-on activities to explain concepts, while university professors rely more on lectures and problem-solving exercises. University students are also expected to have a higher level of independent learning and critical thinking skills.

5. How can one succeed in university physics courses after completing high school physics?

To succeed in university physics courses, it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts learned in high school physics. It is also helpful to review and practice using mathematical tools such as calculus and algebra. Time management, good note-taking skills, and seeking help from professors and teaching assistants are also crucial for success in university physics courses.