Histogram of number of units selected

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bassplr19
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Histogram Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
bassplr19
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I have some things that have a 7% chance of being blue, 10 of these things are put in a box. What is the percent chance that the box will have exactly one blue thing? Two blue things? and so on..

I have simulated this and came up with the following (all appx)
0 - 37%
1 - 37%
2 - 18%
3 - 5%
4 - 1.2%
5 - 0.12%

What equations do I use to solve this exactly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Prob[k out of 10 things are blue] = 10!/(k! (10 - k)!) .07^k (1 - .07)^(10 - k).