Probability of Surviving Pill Selection

• I
  • Thread starter transmini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    probability
In summary, the conversation revolves around a statistics problem involving a person named Mr. Hope who has two pills, one of which is poisoned. The question asks for the odds of Mr. Hope surviving if two victims are involved and the scenario remains the same for each victim. There is confusion about the correct calculation, as well as the logic behind the problem. The conversation also raises questions about the specifics of the scenario and its flaws.
transmini
I'll start off by saying this is technically a coursework question, just not mine, nor of the present. I work in a tutoring center and it's been a while since I have taken stats and don't quite understand this person's professor's reasoning.

The general idea of the question was that there was a guy named Mr. Hope who had 2 pills which he could not distinguish. One of which was laced with poison, and the other was not. For one of Hope's victims, he offered them the choice of pills. The odds were 0.3 that the victim selected a pill. If the victim selected the pill, the odds were 0.5 that Hope would survive. If the victim did not select the pill, the odds were 0.65 that Hope would survive.

What are the odds of Hope surviving this endeavor with 2 victims, where the scenario is the exact same for each?What we did was say the odds of Hope surviving one encounter were ##0.3*0.5+0.7*0.65##, because there was a 30% chance of getting to the scenario of 50% chance of survival OR 70% chance of a 65% chance of survival, and then square this result to get it for surviving both of 2 encounters. But apparently the first step is wrong, so could anyone explain? He had ##0.3*0.65+0.7*0.5## if I recall correctly. I know he transposed 2 of the numbers in that sum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to the first case is correct, but it is unclear how the scenario with 2 victims is supposed to look.
The problem is weird in general. If Hope wants to survive, and has a better chance to do so if he chooses the pill himself, why would he let someone else make a random choice?

mfb said:
Your answer to the first case is correct, but it is unclear how the scenario with 2 victims is supposed to look.
The problem is weird in general. If Hope wants to survive, and has a better chance to do so if he chooses the pill himself, why would he let someone else make a random choice?

I totally forgot I asked this, whoops. But that's what I thought. I asked someone else I work with as well and they thought the same thing. I'm not sure what the person's professor was thinking then. But as far as 2 victims, the trial conducted with the first is the exact same as the second. But since the victims are independent of each I just said to multiply the probability with itself. Now as far as the back story, sure it's flawed but maybe he wanted it to seem more authentic and less "I'm trying to kill you"?

What does “the trial conducted is the same” mean? Mr. Hope has a set of pills for each one? Mr. Hope has just one set and picks one only if both prisoners don’t choose one? What happens if both prisoners choose a pill - but not the same one? Way too many open questions.

transmini said:
The odds were 0.3 that the victim selected a pill.
Selected a pill (so the possibility of not selecting either) or selected a particular pill?
If the latter and they are indistinguishable, how come the odds are not 50-50?
transmini said:
If the victim selected the pill, the odds were 0.5 that Hope would survive.
Who is taking the selected pill, the "victim" or Hope?
transmini said:
He had 0.3∗0.65+0.7∗0.5
Sounds like he just got confused and swapped two numbers somewhere.

1. What is the "Probability of Surviving Pill Selection"?

The "Probability of Surviving Pill Selection" is a measure of the likelihood that a person will survive after taking a specific medication or combination of medications.

2. How is the probability of surviving pill selection calculated?

The probability of surviving pill selection is calculated by taking into account various factors such as the efficacy and side effects of the medication, the patient's overall health and medical history, and the dosage and frequency of the medication.

3. Is the probability of surviving pill selection accurate?

The accuracy of the probability of surviving pill selection depends on the quality and reliability of the data used to calculate it. It is important to note that predictions of survival are never 100% accurate and can be affected by individual differences.

4. Can the probability of surviving pill selection change over time?

Yes, the probability of surviving pill selection can change over time as new information and research becomes available. It is important for healthcare professionals to regularly reassess and update the probability based on the latest data.

5. Can the probability of surviving pill selection be used to make treatment decisions?

The probability of surviving pill selection is just one factor to consider when making treatment decisions. It should be used in conjunction with other medical information and in consultation with a healthcare professional.