Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Historical Recalls/Design problems

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    As stated below, Toyota will lose over 2 billion dollars due to their car pedal/brake design problem.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8502894.stm

Were there any disasters in the past occurred solely in the engineering design process? Tacoma bridge could be one but I do not know the losses involved in it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Big expensive recalls tend to come in the food/drug industry where you have to recall and destroy all the stock of an item at once.

Engineering recalls generally aren't that costly, the $2Bn figure for Toyota is mostly from the drop in share price - not the actual cost of fixing the parts.

What can really cost you is denying there is a problem and fighting a recall like Intel with the Pentium bug or Ford's tire issue.
    Something like that can destroy a product or even the company, the DC10's cargo door is one example

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    There have been a number of devastating dam and bridge failures over the years.

Here is a link to an interesting drilling incident that took place in Louisiana. I doubt that it could be called an engineering design problem because the origin of the failure could never be found.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The question is awfully broad - certainly there have been a host of engineering failure-caused disasters. I can give a bunch off the top of my head (and near misses, too). The most famous would have to be the Challenger, but second would probaby be the Pinto. There was also the walkway of the Kansas City Hayatt, which had a very simple engineering error that caused the support stress to be double what was calculated.

Until engineering became a real profession instead of a trade, boiler explosions were common and many were engineering failures. Here's a list of a couple dozen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boiler_Explosions

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5
    I was thinking of ones that caused large loss of life and/or resources, and were not due to negligence or incompetence. Units problem could be one also (NASA).

I never heard of boiler explosions before.

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6
    The M4 Sherman. The thing was a death trap.

8. Feb 7, 2010 #7
    The Radium Dial Company

Hooker Chemical dump site

Agent Orange

mercury thermometers

9. Feb 7, 2010 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The three which came to my mind:

- Ford Pinto
    - De Havilland Comet
    - The walkway Russ mentioned (the name had escaped me but the story hadn't, it's a good lesson in getting even the most simple engineering designs correct!)

Henry Petroski's books are pretty good for anyone genuinely interested in this.

10. Feb 7, 2010 #9
  11. Feb 7, 2010 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The St. Francis Dam failure is claimed to be the worst US civil engineering failure of the 20th century. The Dam was designed by William Mulholland, a name that most people would recognize from the famous Mulholland Drive. As I understand it, Mulholland never recovered from this event. He was personally devastated and remained so for the rest of his life.

http://www.semp.us/_images/biots/Biot376PhotoA.jpg
    http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=376

Another failure that comes to mind is the double-deck fwy collapse in the Bay Area Quake. I don't know if any fault was ever found with the engineering, but it was certainly ugly.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  12. Feb 7, 2010 #11
  13. Feb 7, 2010 #12

russ_watters

Do you mean operator neglegence? Because obviously, an engineering flaw is a matter of negligence.

14. Feb 7, 2010 #13
  15. Feb 7, 2010 #14
    Go reread the very last sentence in that link.

16. Feb 7, 2010 #15

russ_watters

....setting aside the possibility that the Pinto thing wasn't real, the general concept of attaching a dollar value to human life is often seen as evil, but that view is quite simply wrong. There are always decisions attaching dollar values to human life that must be made (and I'm sure everyone here has made some). What Ford did wrong is simply that they miscalculated the dollar value of not fixing the (supposed) design flaw.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  17. Feb 7, 2010 #16

russ_watters

Another example: the Titanic sinking was due to at least one design flaw.

18. Feb 7, 2010 #17

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Challenger's o-rings, SSN-593 USS Thresher's Emergency Ballast Tank blow system, SL-1 accident, RBMK 1000 (Chernobyl #4 disaster)

19. Feb 7, 2010 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not to mention the fact that a $70 million savings divided by 180 deaths is almost $390,000 per human life. If we're castigating Ford for attaching a value to human life, let's at least provide a more accurate value.

That memorandum and the "human life being worth less than an $11 part" did obscure some of the facts, such that the Pinto wasn't actually more dangerous than other cars.

The same thing was true of the Corvair, which was blasted in Nader's book, "Unsafe At Any Speed". In reality, the Corvair's handling was typical for rear engine cars of the time, including Mercedes and Volkswagen (they all had a swing axle suspension design). I wouldn't say a design that required the front tire pressure to be 11 psi lower than the rear was a great design by today's standards, but I wouldn't call it negligence, either.

20. Feb 7, 2010 #19

russ_watters

I worded that last sentence wrong. The cost of fixing the flaw is the easy part: what they messed up on is the cost of not fixing it. They calculated only the legal expenses and didn't figure the loss of sales.

21. Feb 8, 2010 #20
    Halogen torchiere floor lamps

tylenol recall

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook