Historically Important Problems in Physics

In summary: Thanks!Continental Drift - radio distance measurementChemical composition determination - spectroscopyPhotoelectric effect - quantum theoryWhy do real gasses not obey the gas laws? - Van der Waals forcesWhy it is easy to pull empty cart, but two strong oxen are needed to pull fully loaded one?Why every morning the Sun appears on the eastern horizon to set in the evening on west?What makes the Sun shine?Why the Moon changes its shape?Why dropped pebble falls?Why dropped feather falls, but much slower than pebble?Why during very cold nights, water transforms into transparent stone?Why wind blows?Why two strings of lengths in proportion
1Kris
Hi, I'm trying to make a list of Physics problems that were "the problem" of their day. I want things like the precession of the perihelion of Mercury or the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron. I'd appreciate it if you could name and briefly describe any interesting problems that were solved by a new development in Physics but I don't want currently unsolved problems. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I'm trying to make a list of Physics problems that were "the problem" of their day.

That must be a long list. I would seriously recommend some restrictions eg by topic or date.

How about

Continental Drift - radio distance measurement
Chemical composition determination - spectroscopy
Photoelectric effect - quantum theory
Why do real gasses not obey the gas laws? - Van derWaals forces

I see Studiot is a young man, having memory lasting for not much more than 100 years :uhh:

Why it is easy to pull empty cart, but two strong oxen are needed to pull fully loaded one?

Why every morning the Sun appears on the eastern horizon to set in the evening on west?

What makes the Sun shine?

Why the Moon changes its shape?

Why dropped pebble falls?

Why dropped feather falls, but much slower than pebble?

Why during very cold nights, water transforms into transparent stone?

Why wind blows?

Why two strings of lengths in proportion 3/4 sound nice, while these of proportion 17/18 sound disgusting?

Last edited:
I see Studiot is a young man, having memory lasting for not much more than 100 years

Actually I used an old passport photo, taken when I was a young man, as my avatar.
I am not nearly so handsome nowadays.

:rofl:

Hhhhmmm...by the same token, I see xts must be a few thousand years old :biggrin:

Thanks for your responses so far. Regarding rules, I'm not sure how to specify them so I'll just give you my motivation for wanting such a list. I have decided to give myself a series of small physics projects that involve learning how the famous problems in physics were solved and hence, hopefully I can gain some prowess this way - the idea came from the line on Feynman's blackboard "know how to solve every problem that has been solved". I thought it'd be a fun and original way to become a better physicist if I took that quote at face value.

I would guess then that any kind of regulation would be of the sort - problems from which the most can be learned by studying their solution. I'd like to see some problems that are a little bit difficult mathematically I suppose - those whose solutions are not immediately obvious even when the correct physical concepts are known. However I really would welcome any suggestion as long as it's interesting and those suggested already certainly fit that category.

What are some historically important problems in physics?

Some historically important problems in physics include the search for the fundamental building blocks of matter, the development of theories to explain the behavior of light and electricity, the study of gravity and the laws of motion, and the exploration of the nature of space and time.

What are some examples of famous experiments in physics?

Some famous experiments in physics include the double-slit experiment, which showed the wave-particle duality of light, the Michelson-Morley experiment, which attempted to measure the speed of light, and the Cavendish experiment, which measured the gravitational constant.

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It consists of two main theories: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. These theories have been extensively tested and have had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of probability and uncertainty and has been crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level.

What is the Higgs boson and why is it important?

The Higgs boson, also known as the "God particle," is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s. Its existence was confirmed in 2012 by the Large Hadron Collider, a massive particle accelerator. The Higgs boson is important because it helps explain how particles acquire mass and plays a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics.