History Channel's Ancient Aliens

• Thread starter Monsterboy
  • Start date
Unfortunately I have no time nor motivation to look into all this fiction. But it occurs to me that a lot of ancient not-understood events like for instance the recent meteor could been explained by ancient writers like for instance Pegasus or Phaeton.

From Plato's Timaeus:
There is a story, which even you have preserved, that once upon a time Paethon, the son of Helios, having yoked the steeds in his father's chariot, because he was not able to drive them in the path of his father, burnt up all that was upon the earth, and was himself destroyed by a thunderbolt.

Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
Explanations for what exactly?? What does this theory fit exactly that the mainstream theory does not? The passage with the helicopter (see below)? Is that passage your only reason to reject the mainstream theory? If not, I would like to hear your other explanations.
It fits with the main story of the bible (working with chosen people to try to create a stable and secure environment to make it possible for their "god" to physically reside among them). It also provides a unified explanation for many of the more weird things, such as various miraculous things involving smoke, fire, flying machines, a low-flying "star" and the "glory of the lord".

As a student 40 years ago, I read right through the bible more than once (admittedly skimming somewhat at some of the "x begat y" sections), and that's when I began to wonder about some of the recurring themes. When someone later pointed me to the additional books such as 2 Esdras, that section with the obvious "helicopter" description was so unexpected that I found it hard not to believe that someone was playing a practical joke, and I later quietly checked a different much older edition in a different bookshop to try to reassure myself that it was for real. It still makes me laugh now.

Well, that would defeat the theory of evolution, which states that humanoids did evolve into man without any genetic engineering. And there is evidence enough for that theory (unlike your theory, may I add).
I don't think there's anything in being healthier, better nourished, longer lived and better educated which implies the need for significant genetic engineering. As the alien would clearly have to operate on very long time scales, probably over multiple generations, selective breeding might have occurred as well. However, it's clear that the "improved" humans were still the same species.

Are you talking about this? http://www.biblestudytools.com/gnta/2-esdras/11.html Seriously? I'll admit I don't know much about bible symbolism, but I think it's pretty clear here. The wings represent kingdoms and rulers who start ruling from beginning to end. The upshot is that next chapter, the symbolism is explained as exactly that!
Someone wrote that. They were shown something astonishing which they had difficulty describing, then went away and tried to interpret it. The same happens in Ezekiel, and in other parts of the bible, such as the Revelation. When someone says "I saw something that looked like such-and-such and I think it means so-and-so" then I find the first part much more important than the second.

Last edited:
Why can't the government monitor and evaluate such shows(and books etc) and take action against them for misleading people (after giving them a chance to defend their theories) ? .Is there a fundamental right called "Right to mislead others with wrong information" ? isn't there any law to prosecute people for spreading scientifically wrong information and claiming them to be right?

They show it in every school and kids over there learn how to debunk such theories ,what about others who don't get to learn their tricks at school ? Or should we conclude that people who are stupid enough to be misled deserve to be misled in the Internet age?

Thanks for the videos provided

Is there a fundamental right called "Right to mislead others with wrong information" ? isn't there any law to prosecute people for spreading scientifically wrong information and claiming them to be right?
Yes. It's called Freedom of Speech.

No, not at all.

Why can't the government monitor and evaluate such shows(and books etc) and take action against them for misleading people (after giving them a chance to defend their theories) ? .Is there a fundamental right called "Right to mislead others with wrong information" ? isn't there any law to prosecute people for spreading scientifically wrong information and claiming them to be right?

They show it in every school and kids over there learn how to debunk such theories ,what about others who don't get to learn their tricks at school ? Or should we conclude that people who are stupid enough to be misled deserve to be misled in the Internet age?

Thanks for the videos provided
Shows like this really exploit people their ignorance. They know very well that almost nobody in the general public has any deep knowledge of history and ancient architecture. So they know they can say whatever they want, and we will believe them. They can even lie right to your face if they want.

It is very hard to counter things like this. To fully know that ancient aliens is false, you need to do years of study and research. There are not many people who do this.

Of course, you are skeptic towards the ancient alien theory (this is why you made the OP), because you know the entire premise is absurd. But still, you find that you had no rational arguments against the show. You had to watch another video to see why the show is flawed (and thus: taking another authority for granted). This is something you should be very aware of. Because, what if somebody makes a series of videos that is as deceptive as ancient aliens but with a premise that is plausible? Then everybody would buy into it. This is a very important realization. It is very easy to trick people into believing something. Ever wonder why so many people buy into creationism, or why so many people all over the world were into nazism? Manipulating people is of all time.

I watched a few episodes of this after repeated requests from my friends ,i not really convinced by their theories but since my knowledge of physics is limited ,i might need some help in either dismissing or accepting their theories, i hope those who are reading this have know what i am talking about.
Yeah, I know. Like Chariots of the Gods. There's a problem though: way too far, way hostile environment, and massively contingent. In my opinion, based on these barriers, it it much more reasonable to conclude that in the entire history of the Universe, there has never been physical contact between independently-evolved intellegent life forms from different solar systems.

Now, doesn't that feel much better?

Last edited:
How many people over here feel that the authors of the show took inspiration from Kubrick's movie 2001: A Space Odyssey based on Arthur Clarke's Sci fi book ?

I wonder why they did not show the monolith in some episode. :biggrin: (or did they ?)

How many people over here feel that the authors of the show took inspiration from Kubrick's movie 2001: A Space Odyssey based on Arthur Clarke's Sci fi book ?
Clarke and Kubrick collaborated on the screenplay. The novel came later. By the way, the Jupiter monolith was a combination of Stonehenge and a near-death vision of CG Jung. He experienced a Hindu temple that was orbiting the Earth.

Of course, you are skeptic towards the ancient alien theory (this is why you made the OP), because you know the entire premise is absurd. But still, you find that you had no rational arguments against the show. You had to watch another video to see why the show is flawed (and thus: taking another authority for granted).
No ,i have rational arguments with what little knowledge i have ,that's the reason i became a skeptic.
(1)first of all aliens cannot directly expose themselves to our atmosphere because their immune system will not be familiar with our bacteria ,viruses etc given this ,interbreeding of species will lead to offsprings only when the two species are very close to each other let alone species who have evolved in entirely different ecosystems ,so interbreeding between humans and aliens is not believable.

(2) Let us assume that aliens did bring all that technology to us ,then where did all that go? why didn't Egyptian light bulb etc survive till the modern times? even if the aliens left ,i don't think it would be so difficult for the Egyptians to build those light bulbs and batteries themselves ,they knew about metals,they are the ones built them with alien help ,they don't really have know the exact theory behind how the batteries and light bulbs work ,they can build it by knowing about all the raw materials required and how to assemble them. For example i might know how to assemble a computer but i may not know how exactly ,the motherboard ,processor ,harddisk ,RAM actually functions and what each and every circuit does. Egyptians did not contain anything as complicated as any of the computer parts so it was easier to build them and assemble.

(3) If ancient people had flying machines and runways,how come they never had automobiles like bikes ,cars ,trains ? i don't think the ancient aliens have mentioned anything about ancient cars or trucks ,have they? i haven't seen all the seasons.

(4)Maybe we were fond of stone structures back then but why would aliens make us built their landing pads and runways,pyramids etc out of stone? they could got all the work done in a much easier and faster way with somekind of super strong hightech concrete which can be cast into any shape and size and last for centuries atleast.

(5)I saw an episode in which they were talking about peru and that not all dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago but some of them lived as recently as 10,000 BCE and that Aliens killed them to make way for humans because humans were not capable of killing them ,Humans were all over the world by 10,000 BCE except maybe Antarctica and few other places why kill dinosaurs in peru?

If dinosaurs did exist in 10,000 BCE in peru or south America ,then by that time they could have easily wiped out all the mammals over their.

But all these are logical arguments and (not technical) and some of the theories can only be denied if i can go to all the places they mention and have a look myself but that's not going to happen in the near future.

I wanted technical/scientific reasons to justify/dimiss certain theories of pyramids being power plants etc ,that's why i started this thread

Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
No ,i have rational arguments with what little knowledge i have ,that's the reason i became a skeptic.
(1)first of all aliens cannot directly expose themselves to our atmosphere because their immune system will not be familiar with our bacteria ,viruses etc given this ,interbreeding of species will lead to offsprings only when the two species are very close to each other let alone species who have evolved in entirely different ecosystems ,so interbreeding between humans and aliens is not believable.

(2) Let us assume that aliens did bring all that technology to us ,then where did all that go? why didn't Egyptian light bulb etc survive till the modern times? even if the aliens left ,i don't think it would be so difficult for the Egyptians to build those light bulbs and batteries themselves ,they knew about metals,they are the ones built them with alien help ,they don't really have know the exact theory behind how the batteries and light bulbs work ,they can build it by knowing about all the raw materials required and how to assemble them. For example i might know how to assemble a computer but i may not know how exactly ,the motherboard ,processor ,harddisk ,RAM actually functions and what each and every circuit does. Egyptians did not contain anything as complicated as any of the computer parts so it was easier to build them and assemble.

(3) If ancient people had flying machines and runways,how come they never had automobiles like bikes ,cars ,trains ? i don't think the ancient aliens have mentioned anything about ancient cars or trucks ,have they? i haven't seen all the seasons.

(4)Maybe we were fond of stone structures back then but why would aliens make us built their landing pads and runways,pyramids etc out of stone? they could got all the work done in a much easier and faster way with somekind of super strong hightech concrete which can be cast into any shape and size and last for centuries atleast.

(5)I saw an episode in which they were talking about peru and that not all dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago but some of them lived as recently as 10,000 BCE and that Aliens killed them to make way for humans because humans were not capable of killing them ,Humans were all over the world by 10,000 BCE except maybe Antarctica and few other places why kill dinosaurs in peru?

If dinosaurs did exist in 10,000 BCE in peru or south America ,then by that time they could have easily wiped out all the mammals over their.

But all these are logical arguments and (not technical) and some of the theories can only be denied if i can go to all the places they mention and have a look myself but that's not going to happen in the near future.

I wanted technical/scientific reasons to justify/dimiss certain theories of pyramids being power plants etc ,that's why i started this thread
(1) I totally agree interbreeding isn't possible and that alien would probably have problems with our environment. In my scenario, the real "alien" remains in space and the "improved humans" are the ones who interact with the locals.

(2) and (3) The "improved humans" only have what technology the alien let them have, with limited capability for repair or improvement, and every bit of it would have been extremely precious.

(4) and (5) I don't believe their flying machines needed runways (that would be a stupid design, given that there weren't any before they arrived). From Ezekiel etc., it does seem that the improved humans wanted the locals to help them build a "temple", which could have been related to a landing pad for the mother ship, but I consider that extremely speculative.

(1) I totally agree interbreeding isn't possible and that alien would probably have problems with our environment. In my scenario, the real "alien" remains in space and the "improved humans" are the ones who interact with the locals.
Why are you certain that interbreeding isn't possible?

Any civilisation capable of getting here in the first place is most likely capable of very advanced forms of genetic manipulation or indded other tech we havn't dreamed of yet. Interbreeding is a non issue I'd say.
I can think of one reason why aliens might want to interbreed (communication - aliens could be VERY alien indeed) but that's about all.

Getting here in the first place is the big problem.
It's possible of course but so far no one has produced a single shred of evidence to support the notion.

What makes me angry is broadcasting such stuff on a "history" channel. This passes off what is clearly a financial fraud as something akin to genuine historical research. This damages genuide archaeologists
credibility (although most of them seem barmy as a bag of spanners to me) and confuses the uneducated.
Such obvious deciept warrants police involvement as far as I'm concerned.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Closed pending moderation