Hollow cube - moment of inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 15K views
blr
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How to calculate moment of inertia of hollow cube.

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


I guess that subtracting the moment of inertia of the inner cube from the moment of inertia of the outer cube is wrong.
Even it is close to solution, what mass to put in formula?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A good idea to subtract away the inner cube!
The mass of the hollow cube will appear in your answer; if you don't know it just leave it as m.
 
I know mass of hollow cube, and it is m...
Moment of inertia of cube is m a^2/6.
So moment of inertia of hollow cube is m1 a^2/6 - m2 b^2/6...
I need help with m1 and m2...
 
The density of the initial solid cube is a constant, so the mass is proportional to the volume. The volume of the removed cube and the volume of the remaining cubic shell are calculable in terms of a and b.
 
I know that, but I don't know how to do it :(
Thanks for your answers!
 
So...
I(of hollow cube) = m * [tex]\frac{a^3}{a^3-b^3}[/tex] * [tex]\frac{a^2}{6}[/tex] - m * [tex]\frac{b^3}{a^3-b^3}[/tex] * [tex]\frac{b^2}{6}[/tex]

that is

[tex]\frac{m(a^5-b^5)}{6(a^3-b^3}[/tex]

Is that ok?
 
Mass of hollow cube is given. So that is mass of full cube, before removing inner cube with edge length b.
 
Ah, OK.

Looks OK to me, but I made so many stupid mistakes lately that I don't trust myself these days.