Holomorphic function on a disc

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a holomorphic function in an open neighborhood of a ball in C^n, n>1, is continuous on the closure of that ball. The goal is to show that there exists a point on the boundary of the ball where the function is equal to 0. The conversation mentions using a theorem from the book "Analytic Functions of Several Complex Variables" to create a contradiction by assuming the function is never zero on the boundary. The identity principle for holomorphic functions is also mentioned as a necessary tool to solve the problem.
JYM
I want to solve the following problem:
Suppose B=B(0,R) be a ball in C^n, n>1. Let f be holomorphic in B and continuous on B closure. If f(a)=0 for some a in B, show that there is p in boundary of B such that f(p)=0.
I assumed f(p) is non zero for every point p in boundary B and create contradiction but I can't. Please give me some hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
a function that is holomorphic in an open neighborhood of a sphere (boundary of a ball) in C^n, n > 1, extends to be holomorphic in the interior of that ball. in your case, if the function is never zero on the boundary, then its reciprocal is holomorphic in an open neighborhood of the boundary of a slightly smaller ball, hence also in the interior of that smaller ball. now try to get a contradiction. this uses a theorem in chapter 1 of gunning and rossi, analytic functions of several complex variables, p.20, the section I.C on removable singularities. of course you also need the identity (uniqueness) principle for holomorphic functions.

Last edited:
Likes mfb
Ok, Thanks.

What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. This means that the function has a derivative at each point, which allows for the calculation of slope and curvature of the function at any given point.

What is a disc in relation to holomorphic functions?

In mathematics, a disc is a two-dimensional shape that is bounded by a circular line. When discussing holomorphic functions, a disc usually refers to the complex plane, which is the set of all complex numbers represented as points on a plane.

What is the domain of a holomorphic function on a disc?

The domain of a holomorphic function on a disc is the interior of the circular boundary of the disc. This means that the function is defined and differentiable at every point within the circle.

What is the Cauchy integral formula for holomorphic functions on a disc?

The Cauchy integral formula states that for a holomorphic function f(z) on a disc D, the integral of f(z) along any simple closed curve within the disc is equal to the sum of all the function's values at points within the curve's interior. This formula is a fundamental tool for calculating the values of holomorphic functions on a disc.

What are some applications of holomorphic functions on a disc?

Holomorphic functions on a disc have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model and analyze physical systems, such as fluid flow and electromagnetic fields. In finance, they are used to model stock prices and other financial data. They are also used in signal processing and control theory.