Home-Made Fiber Optics: Alternatives to Food Jelly?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Ravaner
Messages
134
Reaction score
3
Hello. I know how to realize an homemade fiber optic using some food jelly. Are there other materials, at amateur grade; to replace jelly ? ( NB this item has to be used in high vacuum, and jelly is not convenient for this use)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this to work in the visible?

You could try a transparent epoxy from a hardware store.

Claude.

P.S. I'm interested in how you make fibre optics with jelly. Do you extrude the jelly through a hole or use a cast of some sort?
 
Thanks for reply. Yes I'm working in invisible area. To use jelly it is possible to introduce it in a cast, but it's just for educational application not really serious for lab. Sorry for the attached doc, it's in French ...
 
Attachments
You can buy plastic fibre quite cheaply. Try ebay?
 
Ravaner said:
Hello. I know how to realize an homemade fiber optic using some food jelly. Are there other materials, at amateur grade; to replace jelly ? ( NB this item has to be used in high vacuum, and jelly is not convenient for this use)

Materials like epoxies, etc., will outgas in a high vacuum. Even standard FO cables may outgas too much for high vacuum work. Can you just use line-of-sight optics and mirrors? Can you say more about your setup?