Homeomorphism from S^2 to a subset of S^2

In summary, the student was trying to show that there is no smooth, non-vanishing function f from S^2 to itself such that for all x in S^2, f(x) is non-zero and x is tangent to f(x). However, they were not able to figure out how to do this using topological properties.
LukeD
So for my analysis final, one of the questions was to prove the smooth version of the Hairy Ball theorem (that there is no smooth, non-vanishing function f from S^2 to itself such that for all x in S^2, f(x) is non-zero and x is tangent to f(x)) (The exam was over 2 weeks ago, so I think it's safe to talk about now)

Assuming that such an f exists, you can use it to construct another function [tex]g : S^2 \to g(S^2) \subset S^2[/tex], which is a homeomorphism that is Lipschitz and whose inverse is Lipschitz.

One key part in the proof was to show that g(S^2) = S^2. However, I could not figure this part out.

I was trying to use topological properties to show this: So obviously, g(S^2) has to be compact and connected (since it is homeomorphic to S^2, which is compact and connected), but why can it not be a subset of S^2 with some closed holes punched out of it? Or can it? Is there a homeomorphism from S^2 to a proper subset of S^2? Did I need some other property of g that I was not considering (for instance, that g and its inverse are Lipschitz). S^2 is simply connected. Does this imply that g(S^2) is simply connected? This would immediately imply that g(S^2) can have at most 1 hole, but I need to show that it has none.

Physics news on Phys.org
Closed, connected and _simply_ connected. Homotopy type is invariant under homeomorphism so its also not a contractible subset of S^2.

matt grime said:
Closed, connected and _simply_ connected. Homotopy type is invariant under homeomorphism so its also not a contractible subset of S^2.

So we didn't actually study simply connected sets much (just in passing when talking about Poincare's Lemma), so I didn't know the definition too well when trying the problem and it wasn't obvious at the time that it would be a topological property, but now that I look at the definition, it's extremely obvious.

I don't know at all what a contractible set is, so that doesn't help.

However, since I know that g(S^2) is compact and simply connected, this tells me that it is essentially S^2 with at most 1 closed hole punched out of it.

If I assume that there is such a hole, then I can take its boundary (which I will call [tex]\psi[/tex]). Then [tex]g^{-1}(\psi)[/tex] is a closed path in S^2. This divides S^2 into 2 (non-empty, open) regions. I can take 2 points, one in each region (say, p and q). Any path between them obvious intersects [tex]g^{-1}(\psi)[/tex].

I can then take g(p) and g(q). Since p and q were not in the image of [tex]g^{-1}(\psi)[/tex], g(p) and g(q) are not on the boundary of the hole ([tex]\psi[/tex]). Therefore, there is a path (called [tex]\varphi[/tex]) that is connecting them that does not intersect [tex]\psi[/tex].

Then [tex]g^{-1}(\varphi)[/tex] is a path that connects p and q but does not intersect [tex]g^{-1}(\psi)[/tex], which is a contradiction.

---

This seems good... the only leap that I see is my conclusion that simply connected implies that there is at most 1 hole. Intuitively, this seems true, but I don't know how to prove it.

1. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a type of mathematical function that describes a continuous transformation between two topological spaces. It essentially means that two spaces are "topologically equivalent" and can be transformed into one another without any tearing or gluing.

2. What does it mean for a subset of S^2 to be homeomorphic to S^2?

This means that the subset of S^2 has the same topological properties as the entire S^2 space. This includes the same number of dimensions, connectedness, and shape. Essentially, the subset can be continuously deformed into the entire space without any holes or breaks.

3. How can a homeomorphism be visualized?

A homeomorphism can be visualized by imagining a rubber band that can stretch and twist without breaking. If the rubber band can be manipulated into the same shape as another rubber band, then the two spaces are homeomorphic.

4. What is the significance of a homeomorphism from S^2 to a subset of S^2?

A homeomorphism from S^2 to a subset of S^2 can be useful in studying different properties of the subset. It also allows for easier visualization and understanding of the subset by relating it to a space that is already well-known and understood.

5. How is a homeomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a type of topological transformation, while an isomorphism is a type of algebraic transformation. Homeomorphisms preserve only topological properties, while isomorphisms preserve both topological and algebraic properties. In other words, a homeomorphism preserves the shape of a space, while an isomorphism preserves both the shape and the structure of a space.