Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogeneous Eqn of Line given 2 homogeneous pointspoints

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    I'm reviewing Projective Geometry. This is an exercise in 2D homogeneous points and lines. It is not a homework assignment - I'm way too old for that.

Given two points p1 (X1,Y1,W1) and p2 (X2,Y2,W2) find the equation of the line that passes through them (aX+bY+cW=0). (See http://vision.stanford.edu/~birch/projective/node4.html [Broken], "Similarly, given two points p1 and p2, the equation..." and http://vision.stanford.edu/~birch/projective/node16.html [Broken], Representing the Plucker Equations)

The solution by means of linear algebra is u=p1 x p2 (cross product) = (Y1W2-Y2W1, W1X2-X1W2, X1Y2-Y1X2). I have worked out how to obtain that by calculating a determinant.

However, I should be able to get the same result by using elementary algebra and the basic line equation aX + bY + cW = 0, but somewhere I take a wrong turn. Can someone provide the steps?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2
    You should get the same answer within a global multiplying factor--i.e. a homogeneous multiplier (which is why it's called homogeneous coordinates).

I don't see what the problem is. You've found the homogeneous representation for the line, which is [itex]u[/itex]. The corresponding equation for the line is, for any third point P = (X, Y, W), that [itex]u \cdot P = 0[/itex], is it not?

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    As I stated, I want to find the same result using elementary algebra and not matrix operations such as determinants. It may be a full page of lines so you may want to do it by hand and attach an image of the page. As good as I am in algebra, I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. I start with two equations:
    L1: aX1 +bY1 +cW1 = 0 and
    L2: aX2 +bY2 +cW2 = 0
    (And maybe that's the wrong starting point.)

Because the points are on a line I can set them equal to each other, collect terms and then solve for a, then b, and finally c. But I don't get the answer of the determinant method.

a(X1-X2) + b(Y1-Y2) + c(W1-W2) =0
    a=[-b(Y1-Y2) - c(W1-W2)]/(X1-X2)

Now take this value for a and plug it into L1, then solve for b, etc.

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4
    Because of homogeneity, you should have a degree of freedom to choose one of either [itex]a,b,c[/itex] and set one to a convenient number. The usual choice would be [itex]c=1[/itex]. This should give you the third equation needed to make the system solvable. Otherwise, you have 2 equations and 3 unknowns, and that's kinda silly.

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5
    My question stands. If its silly, don't reply.

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6
    I pointed out you need a third equation to pin down the values of all three variables [itex]a,b,c[/itex]. If that doesn't fix your problem, then please elaborate what your "wrong turn" is. I do not think solving this problem for you will be productive. You haven't even really described what hangup you're having in working out the algebra and solving the system by hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook