What is the formula for the y-axis projection along a given line?

In summary: So in summary, the textbook says that T: V -> V is a projection on W1 along W2 if, for x = x1 + x2 with x1 an element of W1 and x2 an element of W2, T(x) = x1. For part a, T(a,b) = (a,0) and for part b, T(a,b) = (0,b).
jclawson709

Homework Statement

Let T: R^2 -> R^2.
Part a: Find a formula for T(a,b) where T represents the projection on the y-axis along the x-axis.
Part b: Find a formula for T(a,b) where T represents the projection on the y-axis along the line L={(s,s):s is an element of R}

Homework Equations

My textbook says that T:V -> V is a projection on W1 along W2 (for W1 and W2 subspaces of V and V is the direct sum of W1 and W2) if, for x = x1 + x2 with x1 an element of W1 and x2 an element of W2, T(x) = x1

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives a pretty lousy definition of projection in my opinion and we haven't talked about it in class (I think my professor is leaving it up to the book), so my attempt at a solution is pretty half-baked. I'm unsure of what the textbook means by "find a formula" but for part a I think T(a,b) = (a,0) and for part b i really have no idea. All I can find on the internet are matrix definitions which really don't help too much. Oh and the textbook I am using is Linear Algebra 4th edition by Friedberg, Insel, & Spence

Physics news on Phys.org
oops i actually meant T(a,b) = (0,b) for part a

jclawson709 said:

Homework Statement

Let T: R^2 -> R^2.
Part a: Find a formula for T(a,b) where T represents the projection on the y-axis along the x-axis.
Part b: Find a formula for T(a,b) where T represents the projection on the y-axis along the line L={(s,s):s is an element of R}

Homework Equations

My textbook says that T:V -> V is a projection on W1 along W2 (for W1 and W2 subspaces of V and V is the direct sum of W1 and W2) if, for x = x1 + x2 with x1 an element of W1 and x2 an element of W2, T(x) = x1

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives a pretty lousy definition of projection in my opinion and we haven't talked about it in class (I think my professor is leaving it up to the book), so my attempt at a solution is pretty half-baked. I'm unsure of what the textbook means by "find a formula" but for part a I think T(a,b) = (a,0) and for part b i really have no idea. All I can find on the internet are matrix definitions which really don't help too much. Oh and the textbook I am using is Linear Algebra 4th edition by Friedberg, Insel, & Spence

jclawson709 said:
oops i actually meant T(a,b) = (0,b) for part a

So for part (a) presumably you wrote (a,b) = (0,b) + (a,0) = W1 + W2, so T(a,b) = W1 = (0,b).

That is the way you worked it, right? :uhh:

So you work part b the same way. Start by writing (a,b) as the sum of points in your two subspaces.

LCKurtz said:
So for part (a) presumably you wrote (a,b) = (0,b) + (a,0) = W1 + W2, so T(a,b) = W1 = (0,b).

That is the way you worked it, right? :uhh:

So you work part b the same way. Start by writing (a,b) as the sum of points in your two subspaces.

Hmm no I just presumed intuitively that that was the answer, i didn't think it all the way out like that. So for part b, would I write W1 = (0,s), W2 = (s,0) so W1 + W2 = (s,s) and therefore T(x) = (0,s)?

jclawson709 said:
Hmm no I just presumed intuitively that that was the answer, i didn't think it all the way out like that. So for part b, would I write W1 = (0,s), W2 = (s,0) so W1 + W2 = (s,s) and therefore T(x) = (0,s)?

No. Look at the way I illustrated what you should have done for (a.). You have to start with (a,b) and write it as the sum of two points, one from each subspace. It might help to draw a picture.

I have to leave now. Another suggestion that might help you is to change way the problem is stated from:

Find a formula for T(a,b) where T represents the projection on the y-axis along the line L={(s,s):s is an element of R}

to

Find a formula for T(a,b) where T represents the projection on the y-axis parallel to the line L={(s,s):s is an element of R}

Project it parallel, that is geometrically what is happening.

What is a projection in linear algebra?

A projection in linear algebra is a mathematical operation that maps a vector onto a subspace. It essentially involves finding the closest vector in a subspace to a given vector. This can also be thought of as "projecting" the vector onto the subspace.

What is the purpose of using projections in linear algebra?

The main purpose of using projections in linear algebra is to simplify complex calculations and make them more manageable. Projections can also be used to solve systems of linear equations, find the closest fit for a set of data, and understand the relationships between different vectors and subspaces.

How are projections calculated in linear algebra?

The calculation of a projection involves using a specific formula, depending on the type of projection being performed. For example, to find the orthogonal projection of a vector onto a subspace, the Gram-Schmidt process can be used. Other types of projections, such as the oblique projection, may require different methods of calculation.

What is the difference between orthogonal and oblique projections?

The main difference between orthogonal and oblique projections is that orthogonal projections result in a vector that is perpendicular to the subspace being projected onto, while oblique projections result in a vector that is not necessarily perpendicular. Additionally, the calculation methods for these two types of projections are different.

What are some real-world applications of projections in linear algebra?

Projections in linear algebra have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, where they are used to create 3D images and animations. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to make predictions and classify data. Additionally, projections are used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving vectors and subspaces.