Homogeneous equation and orthogonality

In summary: I may also know it as the "image". If ##A : D(A) \subseteq X \to X## is a linear operator on a vector space ##X##, then its range is just ##R(A) := \{y \in X\,:\, \exists x \in D(A) \text{ such that } Ax = y\}##.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I'm going to cite a book that I'am reading

It is in the general theory of differential equations that the right-hand side of
$$y''''(x) = \rho (x)$$
can be prescribed arbitrary only if the corresponding homogeneous differential equation has no solution except the trivial solution ##y=0##. In all the previous cases the boundary conditions were such that the differential equation
$$y''''(x) = 0$$
had no solution under the given boundary conditions. Here, however, two such independent solution exist, namely
$$y = 1$$
$$y = x$$
In such case our boundary value problem is not solvable unless ##\rho(x)## is "orthogonal" to the homogeneous solutions - i.e.
$$\int_0^l \rho(x)dx = 0$$
$$\int_0^l \rho(x)xdx = 0$$

Can anyone provide some simple references where I can find at least an intuition regarding what is stated by the author.

Thanks,
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
You would have to make the setting more precise.
  1. Which function space? (Presumably ##L^2(0,l)## with standard inner product.)
  2. How is the differential operator exactly defined? (In particular, what is its domain?)
Assuming you have checked this, this looks like a direct application of the Closed Range Theorem. (You can search for this term to find references in most FA textbooks. In the simplest setting, it characterizes the closed range of a closed, densely defined operator as the orthoplement of the nullspace of its adjoint.)

Last edited:
S.G. Janssens said:
You would have to make the setting more precise.
  1. Which function space? (Presumably ##L^2(0,l)## with standard inner product.)
  2. How is the differential operator exactly defined? (In particular, what is its domain?)
Not sure, really. This is from a book on variational mechanics and the problem is introduced very quickly and without any particular definitions. It was something like:

Consider the equilibrium of an elastic bar. For elasticity theory we know that the variational problem takes the following form... the Euler-Lagrange equations thus are...

and very few lines after begins the section I quoted.

S.G. Janssens said:
Assuming you have checked this, this looks like a direct application of the Closed Range Theorem. (You can search for this term to find references in most FA textbooks.
Thanks. I took an intro course in Functional Analysis (for physics and engineer), but we didn't cover the range of an operator. I will see what I can find, thanks again! :D

dRic2 said:
I took an intro course in Functional Analysis (for physics and engineer), but we didn't cover the range of an operator.

You may also know it as the "image". If ##A : D(A) \subseteq X \to X## is a linear operator on a vector space ##X##, then its range is just ##R(A) := \{y \in X\,:\, \exists x \in D(A) \text{ such that } Ax = y\}##. (More generally, you can of course do this for any function between sets, but then the term "image" is used more often than "range".)

Oh, this sounds familiar. Thank you.

1. What is a homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is a type of mathematical equation where all the terms have the same degree. This means that all the terms in the equation have the same power, such as x^2, x^3, etc. In other words, a homogeneous equation is a polynomial equation where the constant term is equal to zero.

2. How is a homogeneous equation different from a non-homogeneous equation?

A non-homogeneous equation is a mathematical equation where the terms have different degrees. This means that the terms in the equation have different powers, such as x^2, x^3, x^4, etc. In other words, a non-homogeneous equation is a polynomial equation where the constant term is not equal to zero.

3. What is the significance of homogeneous equations in mathematics?

Homogeneous equations have many applications in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and differential equations. They are important because they can be solved using techniques such as substitution and elimination, making them easier to solve compared to non-homogeneous equations.

4. What is the concept of orthogonality?

Orthogonality is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two vectors or functions that are perpendicular to each other. In other words, two vectors or functions are considered orthogonal if they are at right angles to each other.

5. How is orthogonality related to homogeneous equations?

In the context of linear algebra, orthogonality is closely related to homogeneous equations. Specifically, a set of vectors is considered orthogonal if their dot product (or inner product) is equal to zero. This condition is often used to find solutions to homogeneous systems of linear equations.