I Homogeneous equation and orthogonality

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date

dRic2

Gold Member
Hi, I'm going to cite a book that I'am reading

It is in the general theory of differential equations that the right-hand side of
$$y''''(x) = \rho (x)$$
can be prescribed arbitrary only if the corresponding homogeneous differential equation has no solution except the trivial solution ##y=0##. In all the previous cases the boundary conditions were such that the differential equation
$$y''''(x) = 0$$
had no solution under the given boundary conditions. Here, however, two such independent solution exist, namely
$$y = 1$$
$$y = x$$
In such case our boundary value problem is not solvable unless ##\rho(x)## is "orthogonal" to the homogeneous solutions - i.e.
$$\int_0^l \rho(x)dx = 0$$
$$\int_0^l \rho(x)xdx = 0$$
Can anyone provide some simple references where I can find at least an intuition regarding what is stated by the author.

Thanks,
Ric

S.G. Janssens

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
You would have to make the setting more precise.
  1. Which function space? (Presumably ##L^2(0,l)## with standard inner product.)
  2. How is the differential operator exactly defined? (In particular, what is its domain?)
Assuming you have checked this, this looks like a direct application of the Closed Range Theorem. (You can search for this term to find references in most FA textbooks. In the simplest setting, it characterizes the closed range of a closed, densely defined operator as the orthoplement of the nullspace of its adjoint.)

Last edited:

dRic2

Gold Member
You would have to make the setting more precise.
  1. Which function space? (Presumably ##L^2(0,l)## with standard inner product.)
  2. How is the differential operator exactly defined? (In particular, what is its domain?)
Not sure, really. This is from a book on variational mechanics and the problem is introduced very quickly and without any particular definitions. It was something like:

Consider the equilibrium of an elastic bar. For elasticity theory we know that the variational problem takes the following form... the Euler-Lagrange equations thus are....

and very few lines after begins the section I quoted.

Assuming you have checked this, this looks like a direct application of the Closed Range Theorem. (You can search for this term to find references in most FA textbooks.
Thanks. I took an intro course in Functional Analysis (for physics and engineer), but we didn't cover the range of an operator. I will see what I can find, thanks again! :D

S.G. Janssens

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I took an intro course in Functional Analysis (for physics and engineer), but we didn't cover the range of an operator.
You may also know it as the "image". If ##A : D(A) \subseteq X \to X## is a linear operator on a vector space ##X##, then its range is just ##R(A) := \{y \in X\,:\, \exists x \in D(A) \text{ such that } Ax = y\}##. (More generally, you can of course do this for any function between sets, but then the term "image" is used more often than "range".)

dRic2

Gold Member
Oh, this sounds familiar. Thank you.