Homogeneous Fredholm equation of the second kind

I assume it's the solution to your equation, but then it makes no sense to ask whether it's continuous or symmetric about zero.
yiorgos
Hi,
during the analysis of a problem in my phd thesis
I have resulted in the following equation.

[tex]\varphi(x)= \int_a^b K(x,t)\varphi(t)dt[/tex]

which is clearly a homogeneous Fredholm equation of the second kind

The problem is that I can't find in any text any way of solving it.
Solutions are provided only for special cases like when the kernel K
is symmetric

[tex]K(x,t)=K(x,t)[/tex]
or when it is separable which are both not my case.

The particular form of the equation I am dealing with is
[tex]\varphi(x)= \int_a^b \Lambda(x,t)g(x)\varphi(t)dt[/tex]

where [tex]\Lambda(x,t)[/tex] is symmetric and g(x) a known function involving logarithm.

Any ideas of how to deal with this kind of form?
Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question very much depends on whether the integral operator defined by:

[tex] K\varphi = \int_a^b K(x,t) \varphi(t)\, \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

is compact. In this case, you can apply Fredholm theory (for instance, your equation can only have finitely many solutions). Alternatively, if you can show [tex]\|K\|<1[/tex] then you can construct a convergent (in the operator norm) Neumann series to show the only solution is [tex]\varphi=0[/tex].

Anthony said:
Your question very much depends on whether the integral operator defined by:

[tex] K\varphi = \int_a^b K(x,t) \varphi(t)\, \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

is compact. In this case, you can apply Fredholm theory (for instance, your equation can only have finitely many solutions). Alternatively, if you can show [tex]\|K\|<1[/tex] then you can construct a convergent (in the operator norm) Neumann series to show the only solution is [tex]\varphi=0[/tex].

Thank you for the reply.
So, you say that if |K|<1 then [tex]\varphi[/tex] vanishes?

One more question. Since my kernel is not of a specific form,
is it more convenient to take h(t)=g(x)*[tex]\varphi(t)[/tex]
and translate the initial equation to the form

[tex]\varphi(x)= \int_a^b K(x,t)h(t)dt[/tex]

which is a Fredholm equation of the second kind?

Is this form easier to be solved or it will make things worse?

PS: Do you have any good book to suggest?
Every book I have searched treats only the trivial cases of kernels (separable etc.)

EDIT: The solution phi=0 has no physical meaning in my case, so it should be considered as unacceptable.

yiorgos said:
Thank you for the reply.
So, you say that if |K|<1 then [tex]\varphi[/tex] vanishes?
Yes, if the operator norm is less than one. I.e. if [tex]K:X\rightarrow Y[/tex] and [tex]X[/tex] is a normed space, then:

[tex] \| K\| = \sup_{\|\varphi\|=1} \| A\varphi \| \[/tex]

So if [tex]\|K\| <1[/tex], then the following Neumann series converges (in the operator norm):

[tex] S = \sum_{n=0}^\infty K^n [/tex]

and you can check [tex]S (I-K) = (I-K)S = I[/tex], i.e. [tex]S = (I-K)^{-1}[/tex].

yiorgos said:
One more question. Since my kernel is not of a specific form,
is it more convenient to take h(t)=g(x)*[tex]\varphi(t)[/tex]
and translate the initial equation to the form

[tex]\varphi(x)= \int_a^b K(x,t)h(t)dt[/tex]

which is a Fredholm equation of the second kind?
Certainly not - your equation is still of the 1st kind.

yiorgos said:
PS: Do you have any good book to suggest?
Every book I have searched treats only the trivial cases of kernels (separable etc.)
Kress has a good book which is fairly accessible.

I forgot to mention that I know for [tex]\phi(x)[/tex]
that it is defined only in [a,b] and I'm interesting particularly for a domain of the form [-a,a].
Additionally, I expect [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] to be continuous and symmetric about zero.
Would these properties help by any means?

I have no idea what [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] is.

What is a Homogeneous Fredholm equation of the second kind?

A Homogeneous Fredholm equation of the second kind is a type of integral equation in which the unknown function appears in both the integrand and the limits of integration. It is expressed in the form of Kf(x) = λf(x), where K is a known function, λ is a constant, and f(x) is the unknown function.

What is the difference between a Homogeneous Fredholm equation of the second kind and a non-homogeneous Fredholm equation?

The main difference between a Homogeneous Fredholm equation of the second kind and a non-homogeneous Fredholm equation is the presence of the constant λ. In a non-homogeneous equation, this constant is replaced by a known function g(x), resulting in Kf(x) = g(x). This means that the unknown function f(x) is only present in the integrand, not in the limits of integration.

What are the applications of Homogeneous Fredholm equations of the second kind?

Homogeneous Fredholm equations of the second kind are commonly used in mathematical physics and engineering to model problems involving integral equations. They have applications in areas such as signal processing, image reconstruction, and electromagnetic theory.

How are Homogeneous Fredholm equations of the second kind solved?

There are various methods for solving Homogeneous Fredholm equations of the second kind, including the method of successive approximations, the Galerkin method, and the method of moments. These methods involve approximating the unknown function f(x) by a series of simpler functions and solving for the coefficients.

What are the conditions for existence and uniqueness of solutions to Homogeneous Fredholm equations of the second kind?

The existence and uniqueness of solutions to Homogeneous Fredholm equations of the second kind depend on the properties of the kernel function K and the constant λ. In general, a solution exists if and only if the eigenvalues of K satisfy certain conditions. Uniqueness is guaranteed if the kernel function is continuous and the eigenvalues are distinct.