Hooke's law vs. Elastic potential energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force constant of a spring when a 13.2-kg mass is placed on top of it and the spring compresses 5.93 cm. Two different approaches are presented, one using total mechanical energy and the other using Hooke's law. The final answer is different due to a difference in interpretation of the given information. The teacher's approach is valid but less practical, while using Hooke's law is a more straightforward method. The conversation concludes by discussing the significance and implications of the different interpretations.
**Mariam**

Homework Statement

I am currently learning about elastic potential energy and this is a question that was given to us by my teacher:

When a 13.2-kg mass is placed on top of a vertical spring, the spring compresses 5.93 cm. Find the force constant of the spring.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this question he used total mechanical energy (ME= GPE+ EPE+ KE)and the conversion of the energy from GPE to EPE (as the object falls down it's energy changes from GPE to EPE and the KE is 0 because the final and initial velocities are zero.)
Because this is a conserved system then ME =0
ΔGPE=-ΔEPE
then he substituted the given into the equations: (13.2)(10) (0-0.0593)=-1/2 (k) (0.0593^2-0^2)
k= 4451.9 N/m

However by using Hooke's law (which I got from the internet- In class we still didn't take hooke's law and all what we know about springs...(elastic) is from EPE equation.): F=kx the force here is Fg=(13.2)(10)=132 132=k(0.0593) k=2225.96 N/m

So my question is why are the answers diffrent what is missing in either of these ways??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is interpreting what is meant by
**Mariam** said:
the spring compresses 5.93 cm

I would agree with you that it is more straightforward to use Hooke's law to determine the spring constant in practice. Think about the set up: you place some weights on a spring and slowly lower the spring so that it doesn't bounce around. The spring stretches and you know, by Newton's third law that k x = m g. when the spring is in equilibrium.

What happens if you just add some weight to a spring and then drop it? The spring stretches beyond equilibrium and then begins to oscillate about the (new) equilibrium.

So if you interpret
**Mariam** said:
the spring compresses 5.93 cm

to mean that 5.93 cm is the distance the spring compresses when the weight is dropped then the teacher's approach is valid, though much less practical. I'm sure this was just an exercise in applying conservation laws.

Likes **Mariam** and PhanthomJay

1. What is Hooke's law?

Hooke's law states that the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. In simpler terms, it means that the more a spring is stretched or compressed, the stronger the force it exerts.

2. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an elastic material, such as a spring, when it is stretched or compressed. It is a form of potential energy because it has the potential to do work when the spring returns to its original shape.

3. How are Hooke's law and elastic potential energy related?

Hooke's law and elastic potential energy are closely related because they both involve the stretching or compressing of an elastic material. Hooke's law describes the relationship between the force and displacement of the material, while elastic potential energy describes the energy stored in the material due to this displacement.

4. Can Hooke's law be applied to other materials besides springs?

Yes, Hooke's law can be applied to other elastic materials besides springs, such as rubber bands, bungee cords, and even human tendons. As long as the material follows a linear relationship between force and displacement, Hooke's law can be used to describe its behavior.

5. How is Hooke's law used in real life?

Hooke's law has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of springs for mechanical devices, shock absorbers in cars, and even in medical devices like braces and prosthetics. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the strength and stability of materials.