Horizontal force to displace a hanging chandelier 0.100 m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
strugglin-physics
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
A 26.5 kg chandelier hangs from a ceiling on a vertical 4.11 m long wire. What horizontal force would be necessary to displace its position 0.100 m to one side?
I know that the tension on the wire would be 260 N but I still can't figure out the force need to displace it .100
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Static equilibrium : Could you proceed with this?
 
Attachments
  • Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    1.4 KB · Views: 511
I tried but I'm still just as stuck as before.
 
Because the object is in static equilibrium, the net force acting on it in any direction will be zero. Let's take the horizontal x-component. Left direction: Negative. Right direction positive.
[tex] \begin{multline*}<br /> \begin{split}<br /> &Newton\ 2nd\ Law:\\<br /> &\sum\vec{F}=m\vec{a}\\<br /> &F+(-Tcos\ \theta) = 0\\<br /> &Vertical\ y\ component:\\<br /> &Upward\ direction:\ positive;\ Downward:\ Negative\\<br /> &Tsin\ \theta+(-mg)=0\\<br /> &\theta\ is\ the\ acute\ angle\ between\ T\ and\ the\ horizontal.\\<br /> \end{split}<br /> \end{multline*}[/tex]