A 27-kg chandelier hangs from a ceiling on a vertical

• Thread starter hitemup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the horizontal force needed to displace a 27-kg chandelier on a 4.0-m-long wire by 0.15m. After some attempts at using the Pythagorean theorem and relating forces to gravitational potential energy, it is concluded that the force is not constant and grows without bound as the displacement approaches the wire length. The correct answer is found by using similar triangles and the relationship between force and displacement.
hitemup

Homework Statement

A 27-kg chandelier hangs from a ceiling on a vertical 4.0-m-long wire. What horizontal force would be necessary to displace its position 0.15m to one side?

Homework Equations

[/B]
F*x = m*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to find the height the chandelier elevates. With the pythogorean theorem, 4 becomes hypothenus, and 0.15 becomes cathetus.

x^2 + 0.15^2 = 4^2
x = 3.99718651

h = 4 - 3.99718651
h = 0.00281349

Fx = mgh

F*0.15 = 27*9.8*0.00281349
F = 4.96299636

When you multiply my result with 2, you get 9.92599272, which is the correct answer according to the book.(9.9N)

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal force that you seek grows with the deviation of the lamp from the vertical. It's as if you pushed a weight up a curved, concave slope... The push you need at different points is different...

Likes hitemup
mgh yields a change in gravitational potential energy, not a force.

If you draw out the scenario you should be able see similar triangles that you can use to relate the forces with the geometry:

Fig1.gif

Likes hitemup
gneill said:
mgh yields a change in gravitational potential energy, not a force.

If you draw out the scenario you should be able see similar triangles that you can use to relate the forces with the geometry:

Yes I got the correct answer now, 4/(0.15) = mg/F

mg = 27*9.8 = 264.6
F = 9.9225

I thought of mgh because I believed the work we've done (Fx) must be equal to the change in energy. But what confuses me here is the fact that when you multiply my wrong answer with 2, it gives the exact answer. I guess, like NTW's said, the force is not constant, is it?

hitemup said:
Yes I got the correct answer now, 4/(0.15) = mg/F

mg = 27*9.8 = 264.6
F = 9.9225
That's actually not right. Neither mg nor F are on the hypotenuse of the force triangle, yet you've used 4 (the hypotenuse of the geometry triangle) in the similarity ratio. Your answer may be very close to right due to the small displacement (0.15 m) compared to the wire length, so y in my diagram is almost equal to 4. But it's not exactly 4. If the displacement were larger the error would be larger.
I thought of mgh because I believed the work we've done (Fx) must be equal to the change in energy. But what confuses me here is the fact that when you multiply my wrong answer with 2, it gives the exact answer. I guess, like NTW's said, the force is not constant, is it?
Right. The force is not constant. In fact it grows without bound as the displacement approaches the wire length. That is to say, there's no finite force, applied strictly horizontally, that could hold the chandelier out horizontally.

1) How do you calculate the tension in the ceiling when a 27-kg chandelier is hung?

The tension in the ceiling can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the chandelier, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). In this case, the tension would be approximately 265.2 N.

2) What factors affect the stability of a 27-kg chandelier hanging from a ceiling?

The stability of a chandelier can be affected by several factors, including the strength and stability of the ceiling structure, the weight and distribution of the chandelier, and any external forces such as wind or movement of the ceiling itself.

3) How can you ensure that a 27-kg chandelier hangs safely from a ceiling?

To ensure the safe hanging of a chandelier, it is important to carefully choose the location and type of ceiling attachment, properly distribute the weight of the chandelier, and regularly inspect and maintain the ceiling and chandelier hardware. It may also be advisable to consult a professional engineer for guidance and assistance.

4) What is the maximum weight that a ceiling can safely support when hanging a chandelier?

The maximum weight that a ceiling can safely support when hanging a chandelier depends on the strength and stability of the ceiling structure, as well as the type and distribution of the weight. It is important to consult a professional engineer to determine the specific weight limit for a particular ceiling.

5) Can a 27-kg chandelier be safely hung from a sloped ceiling?

In general, a chandelier should not be hung from a sloped ceiling as it can cause the weight to be unevenly distributed and put strain on the ceiling structure. However, if it is necessary to hang a chandelier from a sloped ceiling, it is important to consult a professional engineer for guidance on proper attachment and distribution of weight.