Horizontal velocity over an uneven surface

Homework Statement

A small ball of m=1kg at height hp = 8m at point p, is given an initial horizontal speed vp = 10 m/s. It slides over an uneven frictionless surface. What is speed vq of the ball at height hq = 3m at point q?
upload_2014-12-24_11-9-4.png

Homework Equations

Ui + KEi = Uf + KEf

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out how to find the velocity at point q, but when I first did the problem, I thought that the horizontal velocity wouldn't change because there is no horizontal force acting on the ball. The surface is frictionless, so going back to kinematics, if you throw a ball at an angle, the horizontal velocity doesn't change because gravity only acts downward, so I thought it would remain at 10 m/s. But the speed actually increased to 14 m/s after I solved it using the total energy equation.
Why was my first way wrong?

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In this case the ball isn't falling, but sliding. The surface exercises a normal force on the ball that is directed perpendicular to the surface (hence the name normal). That normal force has a non-zero horizontal component, so it increases v when the ball goes down, and it slows the thing down when going uphill. Roller coaster physics !

(Of course, at Q the normal force is straight up again).

Likes rasen58
Oh I see! I forgot about the normal force here. Thanks!