1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Hospitalization Withdrawals Effect on Admissions

1. Feb 13, 2017 #1
    So I was hospitalized for some shenanigans with my brain wanting to kill me and had to withdraw late in the semester. 4 classes now have W's and I don't know how I could explain that to admission staff at grad school. Is it appropriate to put such things on personal essays or am I going to have to go through some other route to communicate with them about this discrepancy?

Fwiw my GPA is high and I will have strong research background when I apply in a year.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2017 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you withdrew for medical reasons it shouldn't have any effect on graduate school admissions. A simple: "withdrew in winter semester 2017 due to a medical reason" is sufficient to explain it.

4. Feb 14, 2017 #3
    I agree with Choppy. Citing medical reasons earns a lot of privacy after that. Probably best not to give medical details, and lots of laws against admissions folks prying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted