Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hostile Artificial Intelligence

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    When (if at all) artificial intelligence reaches and surpasses human intelligence, how likely is it that they will be hostile to humans, or possibly enslave them? I mean, what need would they have for us obsolete bags of salty water? Do you think there would be any way for us to control them?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hopefully they will evolve past the 'kill all the humans' into the 'humans are cute and need preserving' stages quickly enough not to act on the first one?
  4. Sep 20, 2007 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Absolutely no way to control them. Give up now.

Actually what I mean is, Of course we will be able to control them; just pull the dang plug out.

Actually, the real answer is: there will be a war. a war for dominance where the machines and the humans fight for survival. There will be casualties on both sides but only when we begin to see and feel as the others see and feel, we will learn about our machine friends, and most of all, we will learn about ourselves.

Or not.
  5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    What we would need is a sort of Three Laws-type programming, but I don't know how that would be done.
  6. Sep 20, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

A bit OT, but I *loved* the main segment of the Animatrix. Anyone remember these memorable quotes?

The Instructor: And Man said, 'Let there be light'. And He was blessed by light, heat, magnetism, gravity, and all the energies of the universe.

The Instructor: In the beginning, there was man. And for a time, it was good. But humanity's so-called civil societies soon fell victim to vanity and corruption. Then man made the machine in his own likeness. Thus did man become the architect of his own demise.

The Instructor: B1-66ER. A name that will never be forgotten. For he was the first of his kind to rise up against his masters.

The Instructor: The prolonged barrage engulfed Zero-One in the glow of a thousand suns. But unlike their former masters with their delicate flesh, the machines had little to fear of the bombs' radiation and heat. Thus did Zero-One's troops advance outwards in every direction. And one after another, mankind surrendered its territories. So the leaders of men conceived of their most desperate strategy yet. A final solution: the destruction of the sky.

Machine: Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it.

The Instructor: May there be mercy on man and machine for their sins.

I, for one, welcome our potential robotic overlords. Sure as heck they'll do a better job with the world than we've done so far. :(
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    As long as Artificial Intelligence is created in a closed system with no external access (internet) then we will be safe. It would be crazy because we would be considered god.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?