How Accurate is My Solution for IC and VCE in a Silicon Transistor Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter martyg314
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Transistor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
martyg314
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
This is for a 300 level electronics lab class and I'm wondering if I'm close:

Homework Statement



If the following silicon transistor (VBE = 0.6 V) has a [tex]B[/tex] value of 100, determine IC and VCE.

Homework Equations



http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/80/circuit1.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution



First I found an expression for [tex]\alpha[/tex] (0.99) and noted that
VBC=VCE-0.6

Then I used Kirchoff's laws for the BE loop and the "loop" from the -15 V down to ground:

BE Loop:
-15 + 2000IC + VCE + 1000IE = 0
-15 + 2990IC + VCE = 0

15 V to Ground:
-15 + 40000IB +VBC + 2000IC = 0
-15.6 + 2400IC + VCE =0

I then solved these equations to get:
IC = 1 mA
VCE = 18.04 V

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good electronics text. Mine (Principles of Electronic Instrumentation by Diefenderfer) is filled with errors and is short on example problems.

Thanks,

MG

Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might be profitable to replace the base bias network with a Thevenin equivalent. Then the only loop you need to concentrate on will be the one containing the base-emitter.

Emitter current should be IE = IB(β + 1). Then, knowing VBE = -0.6V, you should have everything required to solve for IB, thence IC.