Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How and why do quantum fields interact with each other?

1. Sep 28, 2016 #1
    Why is it that quantum fields interact? How do they do this? Does every exitation of any field affect all other fields?

I'd appreciate an explanation that uses as little math as possible, I don't have a science background.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then maybe you need to first explain to us what you mean when you ask "quantum fields interact". You seem to be using familiar terms, but it doesn't seem to feel as if you are aware what they are.

For example, what makes you think that "every exitation of any field affect all other fields"? Where did you get this, and where did this come from? Do you have an example of this to support your claim? The "weak interaction" doesn't interact with the EM interaction. If it does, then neutrinos won't be this difficult to detect and interact. This is what I mean by you are using familiar terms, but I don't think you know what they are.

So don't ask us why the color of the unicorn's horn is pink. Let's first establish that there IS a unicorn, i.e. establish that you actually know what "quantum field theory" is to start with. Can you do that?

Zz.

4. Sep 28, 2016 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm afraid the OP has asked for explanations of things way above his head, so we can't formulate any answer that he could understand.

5. Sep 28, 2016 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

If fields wouldn't interact, they would not be observable. The problem is that nobody knows how to exactly treat interacting fields. So we have to use clumsy perturbation theory starting from free fields crossing our fingers that it may describe something remotely similar to reality.

6. Sep 28, 2016 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That is not the issue here. In many cases, we detect neutrinos not because its field "interact" with other fields, but because it has a small cross-section in scattering off atoms and electrons, and those electrons create the cherenkov radiation. That's how we detect them, but this is not "weak interaction interacting with EM interaction". And we know that leptons certainly do not participate in the strong interaction.

The OP just need to really explain a lot more here, especially on where he/she got such ideas, because I have a strong feeling that the context is missing.

Zz.

7. Sep 28, 2016 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

Doesn't scattering off the electrons qualify as an interaction?

8. Sep 28, 2016 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, but this is via the exchange of W or Z boson, not W/Z with photons. It is not interaction within the same type. It is the interaction with another "specie" that is the issue here.

Zz.

9. Sep 28, 2016 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, if you have a question that doesn't allow me to give an answer, I just don't respond ;-)). QFT is not communicable without math!

10. Sep 28, 2016 #9

DrDu

Science Advisor

Of course, but if the neutrino would not interact weakly with the electrons and the electrons with the em field, i.e. if one field would totally decouple from the rest, we would not have any means to observe it. So we are forced to consider interacting fields.

11. Sep 28, 2016 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But the 2nd part is "optional". We just happen to get a particle that couples to the EM field. It doesn't have to be that way all the time, which may explain why we don't detect neutrinos efficiently, despite its abundance (i.e. we are oblivious its many other interactions). And once the electron is out, it is like any other electron.

So yes, in my view, they are decoupled, and only if the resulting interaction can produced detectable (EM) interaction can we observe it.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted