How ants can survive in a microwave

• Thread starter rxyzm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, the three ants were able to survive being microwaved for 50 seconds because they avoided the hot and cold spots.
rxyzm
Hello,
This is a question that is haunting me when I saw small red ants go in and come out alive of microwave oven that was.

Long story short, I was warming some food item in the microwave oven. When I put the container in the microwave oven, I missed to notice that there were few live red ants in the container.

I heated the container for 50 seconds and then took out the container. When I opened the lid of the container, I saw the red ants coming out alive from the container.

My understanding was, if one puts anything in microwave that contains water, it will get cooked. I also think, for all carbon based life forms, water is an essential ingredient for blood to flow; and, that's why one should ensure that their hand is not in the microwave when it is on.

I am wondering why ants remained alive in the microwave even when they were blasted for 50 seconds?

Warm Regards,

Ravi

Biology news on Phys.org
rxyzm said:
Warm Regards,
:smile:

Likes berkeman
Randall Munroe has very good explanation on XKCD with comics! ...I always prefer this kind of thing when I can get away with it.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/131/

The explanation with the standing waves was the first thing that came to my mind as I've read the OP. Now this leaves us with a fundamental problem: Why don't they produce microwaves with a non-trivial precession, e.g. by elliptic plates?

fresh_42 said:
The explanation with the standing waves was the first thing that came to my mind as I've read the OP. Now this leaves us with a fundamental problem: Why don't they produce microwaves with a non-trivial precession, e.g. by elliptic plates?

Isn't that why the tray rotates? If you put your dish off center on the tray, it should hit both hot and cold spots. Rotating trays also makes it more challenging for ants.

anorlunda said:
Isn't that why the tray rotates? If you put your dish off center on the tray, it should hit both got and cold spots. Rotating trays also makes it more challenging for ants.
I'm not sure. If the low is always at the same point, I get concentric warm - cold circles in the round soup tureen. Why should I think about positioning a cup or plate against what architecture suggests, if it could be easily solved by fabrication?

I seem to remember older microwaves that had a slowly rotating fan in the ceiling with metal blades. I presumed it was there to stir the hot /cold spots. It was too slow to move air.

I don't see those in modern microwaves. I don't know if they are not needed or just moved out of sight.

I think @jim hardy is experienced at taking old microwave ovens apart.

I just had another thought on why there is no precession. It is to enable ants to survive!

anorlunda said:
:smile:
Welcome.
:biggrin:

Hot spots or cool spots, it would seem impossible for all three ants to avoid being cooked. Considering a moving dish and the fan, maybe one might survive, but three? This would seem on the order of Spock saying to Kirk that the odds of us making it are 1,321 to 1. Then they make it. Does anyone thing that there is something about the ants that we simply don't know?

One if the links above had an explanation that appeals to me:

This would probably best apply to small ants.
A small ant has a high surface to volume ratio, compared to that of the unusual size of things you might microwave. Its volume it juicy innerds is what will be doing the absorbing of the microwaves and making heat (which will be small), but it will be their relatively high surface area that might be able to transfer the heat to its environment as fast as it is generated.

1. How do ants survive in a microwave?

Ants have a high tolerance for heat and can withstand temperatures up to 140°F, making them able to survive in a microwave. Additionally, the small size of ants allows them to dissipate heat quickly, preventing them from overheating.

2. Can ants survive in a microwave because of their exoskeleton?

The exoskeleton of ants does play a role in their survival in a microwave. The hard outer shell helps to protect their internal organs and tissues from the heat, allowing them to survive for short periods of time.

3. Do ants have any special adaptations that allow them to survive in a microwave?

Yes, ants have several unique adaptations that help them survive in a microwave. Their small size, high heat tolerance, and ability to dissipate heat quickly are all factors that contribute to their survival in this type of environment.

4. How long can ants survive in a microwave?

The survival time of ants in a microwave can vary depending on the intensity and duration of the heat. However, on average, ants can survive for a few seconds to a few minutes in a microwave before succumbing to the heat.

5. Is it harmful to humans to have ants survive in a microwave?

No, it is not harmful to humans to have ants survive in a microwave. The heat intensity and duration required to kill ants in a microwave are not harmful to humans. However, it is not recommended to intentionally place ants or any living organism in a microwave as it is a form of animal cruelty.