How are Energy and Momentum related?

In summary: Thanks for your help.In summary, In an elastic collision, the energy is conserved. In an inelastic collision, it is not. To find the kinetic energy of an object in a collision, one can multiply its momentum by (1/2)v.
AznBoi
I know that both energy and momentum are transferred from one object to another in collisions. But I'm not use to relating energy to collisions, rather I use momentum mostly. How are Energy and momentum related? I know that Kinetic energy has the same variables (mv) as momentum except that it has the extra (1/2) and squared sign on the mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
e= p^2 / 2m ...here e is energy...p is momentum...and m is mass(either of teh system or the body)...

krateesh said:
e= p^2 / 2m ...here e is energy...p is momentum...and m is mass(either of teh system or the body)...

so in order to get KE can you just mutiply momentum by 1/2m?? I know that E=pc.. but I haven't really looked into relativity yet. lol

AznBoi said:
I know that both energy and momentum are transferred from one object to another in collisions. But I'm not use to relating energy to collisions, rather I use momentum mostly. How are Energy and momentum related? I know that Kinetic energy has the same variables (mv) as momentum except that it has the extra (1/2) and squared sign on the mass.

It is actually the velocity that is squared, not the mass as in 1/2mv^2.
It is no longer a vector quantity unlike momentum. Generally, momentum is always conserved in the absence of an external force, where as energy may or may not be. So in the case of a simple collision that's elastic, energy is conserved, whereas in one that is inelastic, it is not.

In some simple collisions such as where objects stick together, it is enough to use conservation of momentum. In others, even fairly simple ones, such as the following:

a small block of mass m moving at velocity, v, collides with a heavier block of
mass 3m, find the final velocities of each block.
Using conservation of momentum,

mv=m*v1+3m*v2

Two unknowns, one equation. A dead end. Thats where conservation of energy comes to the rescue, it gives us another equation so that both v1 and v2 can be solved for. That help at all?

denverdoc said:
It is actually the velocity that is squared, not the mass as in 1/2mv^2.
It is no longer a vector quantity unlike momentum. Generally, momentum is always conserved in the absence of an external force, where as energy may or may not be. So in the case of a simple collision that's elastic, energy is conserved, whereas in one that is inelastic, it is not.

In some simple collisions such as where objects stick together, it is enough to use conservation of momentum. In others, even fairly simple ones, such as the following:

a small block of mass m moving at velocity, v, collides with a heavier block of
mass 3m, find the final velocities of each block.
Using conservation of momentum,

mv=m*v1+3m*v2

Two unknowns, one equation. A dead end. Thats where conservation of energy comes to the rescue, it gives us another equation so that both v1 and v2 can be solved for. That help at all?

Thanks for your explanation. =] So can you just multiply the momentum of an object by (1/2)v to get its scalar Kinetic energy? Does this multiplying/dividing subtracting method work for all equations?

Maybe looking at the relationships between the different quantities may help.

F=dP/dt so P=integral of force wrt time, p=F*t

Work=Integral (force*cos(theta)dx), under "ideal" conditions= F*distance

Work (in absence of dissipation such as friction and change in potential energy)=kinetic energy

so P*distance/time=KE

So there are a lot of constraints. But yes, if you wanted to know the kinetic energy of a constant mass with a particular momentum, you could multiply by v/2. Was there a particular example of a problem you had in mind?
That might be more hepful.

1. How are energy and momentum related?

The relationship between energy and momentum is described by the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that any change in momentum of one object must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in momentum of another object. As momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity, an increase in either of these factors will result in an increase in momentum. Similarly, an increase in energy, which is the ability to do work, will also result in an increase in momentum.

2. What is the difference between energy and momentum?

While energy and momentum are both important physical quantities, they have distinct definitions and characteristics. Energy is the ability of a system to do work, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. Energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction, while momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Additionally, energy is conserved in all types of interactions, while momentum is only conserved in collisions and explosions.

3. How is kinetic energy related to momentum?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly related to momentum, as the formula for kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) includes an object's mass and velocity, both of which are factors in calculating momentum. This means that an increase in an object's kinetic energy will result in an increase in its momentum, and vice versa.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the relationship between energy and momentum?

Yes, the formula for calculating the relationship between energy and momentum is the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This can be written as: Σp = constant, where Σp represents the total momentum of all objects in the system. This means that any changes in momentum must be balanced by changes in energy, as described by the formula for kinetic energy (1/2mv^2).

5. How do energy and momentum affect each other in everyday life?

In everyday life, energy and momentum are constantly interacting with each other. For example, when a car accelerates, energy is converted into momentum. Similarly, when a car comes to a stop, momentum is converted back into energy. This is also seen in sports, where a pitcher's energy is transferred into the momentum of a pitched ball, or in a game of billiards, where the energy of the cue stick is transferred into the momentum of the balls. Additionally, the conservation of energy and momentum is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in collisions, explosions, and other interactions.