How are intertwinners related to conservation laws?

In summary, John Baez discusses how the conservation of eigenvalues (T3 isospin) appears if there is an intertwiner between the representation spaces of the symmetry group. He discovered this for the first time in LQG. Can one avoid lagrangians to explain conservation laws with them? I think it will be easier if I quote Baez.
naima
Gold Member
In "The Algebra of Grand Unified Theories" http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.1556" john Baez (see page nb 9) shows how the conservation of eigenvalues (T3 isospin)
appears if there is an intertwiner between the representation spaces of the symmetry group.
I discovered intertwiners for the first time in LQG (in this forum).
Can one avoid lagrangians to explain conservation laws with them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be easier if i quote Baez:
Quite generally, symmetries give rise to conserved quantities. In quantum me-
chanics this works as follows. Suppose that G is a Lie group with a unitary rep-
resentation on the finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces V and W . Then V and W
automatically become representations of g, the Lie algebra of G, and any intertwin-
ing operator F : V → W respects the action of g. In other words,
F (T ψ) = T F (ψ)
for every ψ ∈ V and T ∈ g. Next suppose that ψ ∈ V is an eigenvector of T :
T ψ = iλψ
for some real number λ. Then it is easy to check F (ψ) is again an eigenvector of T
with the same eigenvalue:
T F (ψ) = iλF (ψ).
So, the number λ is ‘conserved’ by the operator F .
The element T ∈ g will act as a skew-adjoint operator on any unitary representa-
tion of G. Physicists prefer to work with self-adjoint operators since these have real
eigenvalues. In quantum mechanics, self-adjoint operators are called ‘observables’.
We can get an observable by dividing T by i.
In Casson and Condon’s isospin theory of the strong interaction, the symmetry
group G is SU(2). Here isospin, or more precisely I3 , arises as above: it is just the
eigenvalue of a certain element of su(2), divided by i to get a real number. Because
any physical process caused by the strong force is described by an intertwining
operator, isospin is conserved.

I was surprised to see a conservation law without reference to Noether nor lagrangians.

Hi Marcus

When you opened the thread 'intuitive content of LQG' intertwiners appeared in the first posts
meteor said:
meteor said:
However, in various documents on Arxiv, I've found that the edges of the graph are labeled with group representations of Lie groups, and the vertices with intertwining operators(damned if i now what's an intertwining operator!)
and Self Adjoint gave a good answer:

selfAdjoint said:
The intertwiner functions are like black boxes - deterministically relating spin reps into spin reps out. These again are physics, somewhat like Heisenbeg's S-matrix relating momenta into momenta out.

and that closed the exchange on that point
8 years later i come back with a well known text of John Baez beginning with the notion of intertwiners.
And i got no answer about its physical importance. (250 readers)
Do you think that during these 8 years such things became so intuitive, so basic
that it deserves no comment?

1. How do intertwiners relate to conservation laws?

Intertwiners are mathematical objects that are used to describe the relationship between different quantities in a physical system. In particular, they are used to describe how different quantities are conserved in a system, which is a key aspect of conservation laws in physics.

2. What is the role of intertwiners in conservation laws?

Intertwiners play a crucial role in conservation laws by mathematically connecting the conserved quantities in a system. They allow us to understand how these quantities are related and how they behave under different physical conditions.

3. How do intertwiners help us understand conservation of energy?

Intertwiners play a central role in understanding conservation of energy. They allow us to mathematically connect the different forms of energy in a system, such as kinetic and potential energy, and show how they are conserved over time.

4. Can intertwiners be applied to all conservation laws?

Yes, intertwiners can be applied to all conservation laws in physics. They are a general mathematical tool that can be used to describe the relationships between conserved quantities in any physical system.

5. How are intertwiners used in practical applications of conservation laws?

Intertwiners are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in engineering and technology. For example, they are used in designing energy-efficient systems by understanding how different forms of energy are conserved and how they can be transformed into each other.