How are solar particle events predicted? And related to flares/CMEs?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter martiandawn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Events Particle Solar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
martiandawn
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I'm a space engineering student and every time I learn something 1000 new questions come to my mind (as usual with science!). Most of my education was from an industrial (practical) point of view, so I feel very, very curious about the science behind the technique. (And I want to be the kind of engineer who understands science rather than applying it blindly). Ok, enough intro, let's go to the question.

What I know: SPEs are mostly protons at several hundred MeV, can cause a dose-equivalent of a few Sv in a matter of hours, but relatively easy to shield. Usually a small storm shelter is designed in a manned spacecraft . The space agency can predict such events, but "how" is not the industry's business :-/ Anyway a radiation detector shall be included in case the prediction fails or communications are impossible.

What I've searched: Read several articles around the internet during my education, now searched the forum before posting and there were several threads. The most useful links I found there are this and this.

What remains unanswered/I'd like to know:

1) How do scientists predict SPEs? Is it magnetic reconnection in the Sun's magnetic field?

2) How do SPEs relate to flares and coronal mass ejections (CME), do they always cause SPEs? Sometimes?

3) How much proton radiation (in Gy or Sv) can a CME cause? Is it small? If not, why was I only taught about SPEs if CMEs are also dangerous? (Also, not sure I fully understand the difference between an SPE and a CME).

Of course, as I'm willing to learn, I will greatly appreciate links to articles for further reading.

Thanks!
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome top PF :smile:

1) How do scientists predict SPEs?

the sun is monitored 24/7 by various ground and space based observatories
SOHO used to be one spacecraft in solar orbit between the orbits of Earth and Venus. It had 24/7 visibility of the sun. it was replaced just a few yrs ago by SDO ( Solar dynamics Observatory). They gave great early warning of approaching SPE's and CME's

Solar astronomers keep an eye on sunspots and filaments to determine their changing complexity which can lead to flares, CME's and proton events. The occurrence of these events can be observed on the sun and by estimating their strength, their velocities/travel times can be calculated

Solar flares quite dangerous to astronauts because of the emission of intense X-rays
SPE's also because of the intense emission of charged particles ( protons and Ions - cosmic rays)
CME's are more likened to a plasma state and are of much lower energies

2) How do SPEs relate to flares and coronal mass ejections (CME), do they always cause SPEs? Sometimes?
They are all related

CME sources are commonly from or close to flare sites. Many CME's are also produced by "disappearing filaments" ( a filament that breaks up and gets blasted out into space)
SPE's are produced by strong CME's.

3) How much proton radiation (in Gy or Sv) can a CME cause? Is it small? If not, why was I only taught about SPEs if CMEs are also dangerous? (Also, not sure I fully understand the difference between an SPE and a CME).

I'm not sure of the radiation levels ... something I haven't read aboutThat first paper answers most of your queries :)
There is one weird thing in there tho ... Table 3 where it was talking about Proton velocities

The last line has to be a typo error surely ??

for 1GeV protons a velocity of 0.875c but gets here in 1.2 minutes ?
so its only going 87% the speed of light but can get here faster than light ?
remember it takes light ~ 4.25 minutes to get from sun to earth

I haven't checked the figures for the other velocities :wink:

I have been an amateur solar astronomer since the early 1970's. It can be quite exciting at times

cheers
Dave
 
Last edited:
ohhh I typo'ed

should have been
... remember it takes light ~ 8.25 minutes to get from sun to earth...

Dave
 
I was assuming your photons are traveling in an Alcubierre drive :p

Thanks for the awesome explanation.