How badly would my grades from 9 years ago hurt me?

In summary, the cumulative GPA is low due to a unique situation from freshman year that has since been resolved. The research experience is nice, as is the award for an innovative product. The letter of recommendation is strong, as is the SOP. However, the GPA is weaker than it would be otherwise because of the freshman year issue. The director of graduate studies at the school I'm applying to has agreed to meet with me and I will also be talking to professors I want to work with. The anxious waiting period is over and I'm now in the "preliminary" phase. Visiting the school is something that might boost my chances, but it's not the only thing that matters.
paulwece
Applying for graduate schools (Masters) in ECE. Mostly top 10s and top 20s.

Cumulative GPA: 3.35
GPA for the last 3 years: 3.85
GRE: Q170 (98% percentile) , V167 (97% percentile)

Nice research experience. I also got an award for an innovative product I designed on the side, an honors mention in a national invention competition sponsored by the US Patent and Trademark Office. I also performed impressively in a national undergraduate math competition (Putnam, which I got 3 problems right)

As for letter of recommendations, I got 2 very strong ones, and 1 decently strong one (I think).

The reason my cumulative GPA is low is due to a semester in freshman year which I messed up due to a medical issue. I have documentation for this and it has long been resolved. I took a 6 years break, and for the last 3 years I got a 3.85. So that bad semester is from 9 years ago.

My SOP is strong, basically detailing what I did in those time and what I want to do in the future.

I've also contacted a few professors at the schools/ I want to get into, and some has agreed to meet me in the coming weeks.

Overall, I think my application is strong except for the semester from 9 years ago. How badly do you think it's hurt me? I did say I have documentation for it and the issue has long been resolved in my application.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say. Press the flesh and visit and talk to profs in the research groups you'd like to work in.

If a previous poor performance was for a documented medical reason and you have since demonstrated that is no longer a problem, it's highly unlikely to hurt you at all.

3.35 isn't necessarily that bad. If they see your transcript and see that it was just your freshman year and everything else was a 3.85 then as long as you just explain yourself (you had a documented medical problem, a difficult transition period, or weren't really sure what you wanted to do yet) I think you should be okay. And 9 years is a long time ago.

But I do get that the first thing they look at is cumulative GPA. A 6 year break sounds like a long enough time for you to reasonably be able to ask for freshman forgiveness, especially given that there were documented medical issues. What was the policy at your undergraduate school? Can they redact the old grades from your transcript or replace them with medical excuse marks to take them out of your GPA calculation?

Thanks.

I've already submitted the application. I'm in the anxious "waiting period" now which is why I asked. My school doesn't have a policy of forgiveness, but I might have a shot if I try to talk to the Dean. But at this point, it's probably too late.

I'd much rather have the school I'm applying to "forgive" me, which is why I spent a lot of effort on the SOP.

Grad school looks at 4 things: GPA, GRE, letter of recommendation, and SOP. Only one category, the GPA, is relatively weak and it's due to an unique situation. It's not like I got 3.35 throughout my college career.

I made an appointment with the Director of graduate studies at the school I'm applying to, plus I will be talking to professors I want to work with. I think my effort will be better spent on this than try to have my current school forgive me.

Overall, I just want to get a feel of how much I should worry about my previous grades, and everyone seems to tell me I should be okay. Thanks.

It sounds like you're doing everything one can do at this point.

That last point about visiting the school is a big one that often gets overlooked.

Good luck.

Choppy, is visiting the school something that'll boost my chances? Is that what you meant by "big one"? I guess that's not something most applicants do huh?

1. How much weight do colleges or employers give to grades from 9 years ago?

The weight given to grades from 9 years ago varies depending on the specific college or employer. Some may place more importance on recent grades, while others may consider all grades equally. It is best to research the specific institution or organization you are applying to for their policies on evaluating grades.

2. Will my grades from 9 years ago affect my chances of getting into a top university?

Grades from 9 years ago may have some impact on your chances of getting into a top university, but they are not the only factor considered. Admissions committees also take into account other aspects such as standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, and personal essays. It is important to have a well-rounded application to increase your chances of admission.

3. Can I explain the circumstances that may have affected my grades from 9 years ago?

Yes, you can explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your grades from 9 years ago. It is always helpful to provide context and any relevant information to provide a better understanding of your academic performance.

4. Are there any ways to improve the impact of my grades from 9 years ago?

If you are concerned about the impact of your grades from 9 years ago, you can take additional courses or retake classes to show academic improvement. Additionally, highlighting any recent academic achievements or relevant work experience can also help mitigate the impact of older grades.

5. How can I overcome the potential negative impact of my grades from 9 years ago?

To overcome the potential negative impact of your grades from 9 years ago, it is important to have a strong overall application and demonstrate your growth and potential since then. This can include showcasing your current academic achievements, relevant work experience, and any personal or professional development you have undergone. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation and a compelling personal statement can also help strengthen your application.