How best to prepare for preliminary exams (for phd)

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to prepare for exams in analysis and applied math. They are considering taking preparatory classes, but only have enough time for two courses per semester. They are also considering self-study, but are unsure if they can cover all six areas in a limited amount of time. Another option is to focus on the first test in analysis and take classes to prepare for the second over two semesters. However, they are faced with a decision between work and study, as working can help them save for the cost of education but studying can allow for more time to prepare.
xaos
the exams I'm looking at will be in analysis and applied math, the first covers: real analysis, advanced calculus, and complex variables; the second: a second course in differential equations, partial differential equations, and numerical methods. i may be able to take preparatory classes in the first and second semesters, but there's only enough room in my time to take two courses in each of the semesters, leaving holes in some areas. but if i can prepare strong in some areas, i can reduce the number of courses i may need to take.

one idea is to try to do this on my own, but i will be starting from scratch in all six areas, so I'm not sure how I'm going to put it all together in a finite amount of time and stepping through six books will take me a good year at the very least.

another idea is to focus all of my self study efforts on the first test in analysis, and then take some classes to prepare for the second over the two semesters.

Physics news on Phys.org
the complication is that i have to choose between work and study. if i work, then i can save up for the high cost of education much faster. if i study, i can add an additional fifteen hours a week to my study time, so that i can complete this study project much sooner.

1. What should I focus on while preparing for preliminary exams?

It is important to focus on the key concepts and theories related to your field of study. Make sure you understand the fundamental principles and have a strong understanding of your chosen topic. Additionally, review any class notes, textbooks, and research papers that are relevant to your exam.

2. How should I manage my time while studying for preliminary exams?

Develop a study schedule and stick to it. Set aside dedicated blocks of time each day to study and review the material. Prioritize your study sessions based on the topics that you find most challenging.

3. Are there any specific study techniques that can help me prepare for preliminary exams?

Some effective study techniques include making flashcards, creating study guides, and practicing with past exam papers. You can also try teaching the material to someone else or participating in study groups to reinforce your understanding of the concepts.

4. Should I focus on memorization or understanding the material?

While it is important to have a basic understanding of the material, it is more important to demonstrate a deep understanding of the key concepts and theories. Focus on understanding the material and being able to apply it to different scenarios, rather than just memorizing facts.

5. How can I manage my stress and anxiety during the preparation period?

It is normal to feel stressed and anxious while preparing for preliminary exams. To manage these feelings, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax, such as exercise or meditation. Also, remember to get enough sleep and maintain a healthy diet to keep your mind and body functioning at their best.