How Big is a Planet with a 5000mph Rotation and a 52-Hour Day?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Amber_smith
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Planet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Amber_smith
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Given a planet that rotates at 5000mph And the length of a day being 52 hours how big would this planet be?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The forum doesn't work like that. You have to show some effort at solving a problem yourself. Members can't just give out answers or they could be banned.
How[/PLAIN] to Ask for Homework Help
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry i didn't know. this isn't for homework or anything. It was just a general question. If someone could point me in the right direction of the formula to figure it out myself that would be as helpful
 
From the question, you are basically trying to determine the circumference of a planet. So, if a person is standing on the surface, how far would they travel in 52 hours? (I.E. the length of time for them to rotate once).
 
I don't have time to provide an in-depth answer, but here's the wiki page for circular motion. The first couple of equations in the formula section should be exactly what you need to figure this out. (at least I think so. I only had a minute or two to look into this)
 
Amber_smith said:
Given a planet that rotates at 5000mph And the length of a day being 52 hours how big would this planet be?
Your question contains the answer: 5,000 miles per hour for 52 hours = 260,000 miles. Therefore, the circumference of your planet must be 260,000 miles. That would make your planet ~10.45 times larger than Earth, or 82,761 miles in diameter.