How to calculate day length of a tidelocked double planet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation required for determining the day length or rotational period of a double planet where both planets are tidally locked to each other. The speaker mentions using Kepler's Third equation, but is unsure if adjustments need to be made for double planets. They also ask for confirmation on whether the rotation period is equal to the orbital period for tidally locked planets. The expert confirms that this is correct and also mentions that if the planets were not tidally locked, a different equation would be used.
AotrsCommander
Quick question: what's the calculation required for working out the day length (i.e. rotational period) of a double planet, where both planets are tidelocked to each other? Do just need to make adjustments to Kepler's Third?

I've got a spread sheet set up to allow me to calculate orbital periods via Kepler's Third, but I'm not sure what adjustments (if any) I need to make to the equation for double planets orbiting each other or whether this is even the right formula to use in this instance (i.e for rotational period of the two bodies.)

Currently set up for calcualtions as follows for orbital periods:

##{T^2}=4π\frac{r^3}{G(M1+M2)}##

(Assuming circular orbits, because that's a good enough abstraction for what I'm doing.)

I am half-thinking that I don't need to do anything and that time for the rotatation period is equal to the orbital period, but I would appreciate a confirmation.

(Secondary question, more hypothetically, if they weren't tide-locked, what equation would you use?)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
AotrsCommander said:
I am half-thinking that I don't need to do anything and that time for the rotatation period is equal to the orbital period, but I would appreciate a confirmation.
Of course. If the planets are tidally locked, their rotation periods are equal to their revolution period.

Right, thanks. (It's been a few months since I last looked at the this, so I wasn't entirely sure.)

1. How does the distance between the planets affect the day length of a tidelocked double planet?

The distance between the planets plays a crucial role in determining the day length of a tidelocked double planet. The closer the planets are, the stronger the tidal forces, and the shorter the day length will be.

2. What is the formula for calculating the day length of a tidelocked double planet?

The formula for calculating the day length of a tidelocked double planet is: Day Length = 2π * √(a^3/GM), where a is the distance between the planets, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the combined mass of the two planets.

3. Can the day length of a tidelocked double planet change?

Yes, the day length of a tidelocked double planet can change over time. This is because as the planets orbit each other, the distance between them can change, altering the strength of the tidal forces and thus affecting the day length.

4. How does the rotation speed of the planets affect the day length of a tidelocked double planet?

The rotation speed of the planets also plays a role in determining the day length of a tidelocked double planet. The faster the planets rotate, the shorter the day length will be, as the tidal forces will be stronger and can more easily slow down the rotation.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the day length of a tidelocked double planet?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the day length of a tidelocked double planet, such as the eccentricity of the planets' orbits, the tilt of their axes, and the presence of any other large celestial bodies in the system. These factors can all influence the strength of the tidal forces and thus impact the day length.