How big of a deal is getting a paper published as an undergrad?

In summary, my teacher says that publishing a paper in a respected physics journal is a big deal, but it is not essential for getting a good graduate school position.
thebuttonfreak
I have submitted a publication to
physics Letters A in the field of supersymmetric quantum mechanics (SUSYQM)

my teacher says this is a pretty big deal but would like to hear some others opinion. I will obviously mention this when I apply but is it THAT big of a deal? Should I make a big deal about it when I apply? How much will it help me? I have some dumpy math grades from my sophomore year so I am worried about getting into a good school. What should I make of it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am only an undergrad myself, but by what I have heard, having a publication on your record is very beneficial since it shows that you have had quality research experience. This is important to graduate programs since they expect their graduate students to be active researchers. It will definitely look great on your resume, but (by my limited experience) it is not anywhere near essential.

Obviously it will be a bigger deal if and when Phys Lett A actually accepts the paper for publication. :wink:

well one ref has already approved it! so one more to go.

saying that it is, how should I use it? WIll it speak for itself? How should I handle it? I am trying to get a feel for what position this puts me in, I am very concerned about some very bad math grades in my soph. year.

jtbell said:
Obviously it will be a bigger deal if and when Phys Lett A actually accepts the paper for publication. :wink:

thebuttonfreak said:
saying that it is, how should I use it?

Plop it on your resume.

yeah, it'll look really good if/when it's published.

I think I'd like to add that getting a paper published is a big deal for undergrads and PhD's alike.:smile:

I think I got it, plop it om there, let it do the talking.

1. How important is it for undergraduates to get a paper published?

Getting a paper published as an undergraduate can be a great achievement and a valuable addition to your resume. However, it is not necessarily a requirement for success in your academic or professional career. It can also depend on your specific field of study and personal goals.

2. Does getting a paper published as an undergrad increase chances of getting into graduate school?

Having a published paper can demonstrate your research skills and dedication, which can be considered a positive factor in graduate school admissions. However, it is not the only factor and admissions committees will also look at other aspects of your academic record and experience.

3. What are some benefits of getting a paper published as an undergrad?

Aside from being a great addition to your resume, getting a paper published can also improve your critical thinking and writing skills, as well as increase your understanding of your field of study. It can also provide opportunities for networking and collaboration with other researchers.

4. Is it difficult for undergraduates to get a paper published?

The process of getting a paper published can be challenging and time-consuming, regardless of your academic level. However, as an undergraduate, you may have limited research experience and resources, which can make it more difficult. It is important to seek guidance from your mentor or professor and be prepared for potential rejections.

5. Are there any specific journals that accept papers from undergraduates?

There are several journals that specifically publish papers from undergraduate students, such as The Undergraduate Journals and the Journal of Undergraduate Research. However, there are also many reputable journals that accept submissions from undergraduates, as long as the research meets their standards and criteria. It is important to carefully research and choose the right journal for your paper.