How can any of these compounds give same SN1 & SN2 product?

  • Thread starter Thread starter baldbrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compounds Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 5K views
HPPAS said:
But is there a general rule so as to decide which factor dominates under what conditions?
It's not a matter of one factor dominating over another (at least not for this question). Rearrangements will happen, and stereochemical effects will happen. I unfortunately didn't think of rearrangements when I initially answered your question, but Ygggdrasil did, and his answer was therefore on the money. If you consider only rearrangements, then c will be the correct answer. If you consider rearrangements and stereochemistry, c is still correct, assuming that you start with a racemic mixture of c. If you assume that you start with one enantiomer of c, then there is no correct answer (SN1 and SN2 give different compunds in every case).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TeethWhitener said:
It's not a matter of one factor dominating over another (at least not for this question). Rearrangements will happen, and stereochemical effects will happen. I unfortunately didn't think of rearrangements when I initially answered your question, but Ygggdrasil did, and his answer was therefore on the money. If you consider only rearrangements, then c will be the correct answer. If you consider rearrangements and stereochemistry, c is still correct, assuming that you start with a racemic mixture of c. If you assume that you start with one enantiomer of c, then there is no correct answer (SN1 and SN2 give different compunds in every case).
Oh. Yes, that last bit was very helpful thanks to @Ygggdrasil .
All my concepts are quite clear, but I still **** up during exams (probably due to haste). I also solve a lot of problems, I can get them quicker when there's no time limit.
Sometimes, the opposite happens. I get the good problems, and **** up the easy ones. Can you give me some advice regarding this?