Using dI/dV to find Fermi level and band gap in diamond films with STM

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
KayDee01
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I'm supposed to be working with an STM in the coming weeks to determining the Fermi Level of some semiconductor diamond films.

I was bombarded with a lot of information by my lab supervisor and the bit of my notes about the calculation just says "Differential of voltage vs current allows us to directly observe the band gap and fermi level". I know how to use the equipment to collect information about varying voltage and tunnelling current information, but I'm a little lost as how I should be calculating the fermi level and band gap once I have all the data.

Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up what dI/dV tells you. Hint: it has something to do with the tunneling density of states.

Zz.