1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

how can grass be turned into fertilizer after digestion?

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    I dont understand how grass can enter an animal like a cow, have nutrients extracted by the cow and then be excremented as fertilizer? My point is that if i got the same grass, soaked in water and added it to plants without removing any nutrients it would be a useless fertilizer. How come you ca take the same grass that has been robbed of nutrition and the result is an excellent plant fertilizer? The cow cannot add nutrients of its own or it would e entually starve of the nutrient. Please explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What about compost?

Why are you assuming that nutrients for cows are nutrients for plants? What is the source of energy for a cow? What is the source of energy for a plant?

4. Jan 6, 2017 #3
    because thats what cows eat? where else do they get their nutrition from? Please answer question to be helpful. Thankyou

5. Jan 6, 2017 #4
    grass compost is never as good as fertiliser, in my experience, and often has lots of dirt added

6. Jan 7, 2017 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I want you to think about the question. This is what we do here at PF!

My point is that there is no reason to expect that a nutrient for a cow will be a nutrient for a plant, so it makes sense that the cow nutrient be transformed by the cow into something that becomes a nutrient for a plant.

And I will ask again the last question: what is the source of energy for a cow? What is the source of energy for a plant?

7. Jan 7, 2017 #6
    Sorry im not a scientist in any way. I know im seeing this in simplistic terms. Here is my best effort without research. The cow probably eats large volumes of plant material to produce some manure therefore it may be somewhat concentrated. Something occures in the cows internal organs that converts the plant material to a product that is more readily available to plants receiving manure. Any nutrients removed by the cow does not rob the plants as theydo not need those nutrients

8. Jan 8, 2017 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your background?

9. Jan 8, 2017 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

10. Jan 8, 2017 #9
    Back ground avid grower of chilli plants

11. Jan 8, 2017 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Asbestos tongue, eh?

12. Jan 8, 2017 #11
    Yes bystander that does help

13. Jan 8, 2017 #12
    Growing the worlds hotest chilli and othe varieties, chillies can be hard to grow, and eat.

14. Jan 8, 2017 #13
    Plants get energy from the sun, carbon from the air, and nutrients from the soil. If the cow removes the energy and the carbon from the grass, whatever is left is still usable for a new plant, since plants don't get energy or carbon from fertilizer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted