• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Courses Can I go to grad school to be an astrophysicist with a minor in astronomy?

Hello! I'm a senior in highschool and I plan on getting a bachelors in computer engineering. I want to minor is astronomy (or double major although I heard engineering is very demanding so I would prefer to minor astronomy). When I complete the four years, and if I realize that I want to be an astrophysicist can I go to grad school with just a minor in astrophysics? Sorry I'm a little confused with the college process, but I think I'm choosing the right terms.

Also are there any career options that includes both astrophysics and computer engineering, say at NASA...?

DEvens

Education Advisor
Gold Member
The best thing is to get your goals as early as possible. Then concentrate.

Look for the thing that glimmers. The subject that, when you are working on it, you don't mind the time or effort. You get stuck in and find you have been working hard and productively for hours and look up and have not noticed the time. The work that draws you back even when you are supposed to be studying something else.

If you can work in a subject like that, nobody will have to push you. You will just naturally work hard at it. And it will be rewarding.

Maybe comp eng is your thing. Maybe astronomy is your thing. There is some overlap, especially now with radio astronomy and digital signal processing and various things. Observational astronomy could possibly fit very well with comp eng.

While you are in undergrad, be searching around on the net for the school you might want to do your grad work in. See if you can find their entry requirements. See if you can make the undergrad degree match, and still satisfy your requirements for the undergrad degree. Contact the potential grad school profs directly and ask what they think.

You have still some time before things are rigid. You will have significant choice on what classes to take.

If you are going into astronomy imo, you should study physics and maths. Computer science is not necessary as most students will teach themselves programming with C or Python or just take a semester class.
Once you are at grad school, you will take astro classes in your first year.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I realize that I want to be an astrophysicist can I go to grad school with just a minor in astrophysics?
Possible, sure. But you will not be as competitive as applicants with physics or astronomy degrees.