How can I calculate the amplitude of a wave using frequency and energy?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Butterfly_grl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amplitude
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 33K views
Butterfly_grl
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I don't know if it's possible or not but I want to calculate the amplitude of a certain frequency. I Have the value of the frequency, the energy needed to give this frequency and say I can calculate the wavelength from the given frequency... So Is it possible to calculate the amplitude?

Another thing could anyone please explain this simple wave equation for me and tell me how can I calculate the Amplitude (A) from it.

x=A sin(t - k) + b

What is t, k and b ( I found this equation on wikipedia)

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? It would be helpful to see how the problem is worded.

In your equation, A is the amplitude, t is a phase angle, k is an initial phase, and b is an amplitude offset.

A more commonly used form is
[tex]x(t)=Asin(2\pi ft+\phi)+b[/tex]
where t now is time, f is frequency and [tex]\phi_0[/tex] is the phase offset. These equations describe oscillatory motion.
 
marcusl said:
Is this a homework problem? It would be helpful to see how the problem is worded.

In your equation, A is the amplitude, t is a phase angle, k is an initial phase, and b is an amplitude offset.

A more commonly used form is
[tex]x(t)=Asin(2\pi ft+\phi)+b[/tex]
where t now is time, f is frequency and [tex]\phi_0[/tex] is the phase offset. These equations describe oscillatory motion.

Well Unfortunately I'm working solo - On my own - It's not a homework
I just want a way to calculate the amplitude of the frequency
 
Well, amplitude is independent frequency. You need more information.
 
As marcus said you need more information to calculate the amplitude.

Yes the energy of the signal is related to the frequency.

The amplitude is related to the energy by transmission impedance, not by the frequency.

The actual energy in a wave is proportional to the integral of the square of the amplitude over half a cycle. The actual constants depending upon the type of wave.