Constructive Interference from Speakers on an x-axis

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the maximum amplitude produced and setting up an expression for combined wave equations. There was also some confusion over solving for the distance one of the speakers can be moved, but after some attempts, the correct answer was reached. The initial mistake may have been due to not converting degrees to radians when calculating the difference in phase constant.
ab200
Homework Statement
Two speakers, A and B, are at the same point on an x-axis and each emits sound with a wavelength of 0.25 m. Speaker B's phase constant is 260 degrees larger than speaker A's phase constant and each produces an amplitude of 10 Pa.

What is the minimum distance you can move speaker A to achieve constructive interference along the x-axis? Give a positive answer regardless of direction, in m.
Relevant Equations
ΔΦ/2π = Δx/λ + ΔΦo/2π = m , m = 0,1,2,3...
The first part of this question asks for the maximum amplitude produced, which I found to be 12.86 Pa. I was able to set up the expression for the combined wave equations.

However, I am struggling to understand how to set up and solve an expression to find the distance I could move one of the speakers. I have wavelength, frequency, and amplitude, as well as difference in phase constant. Am I solving for phase difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
ab200 said:
Am I solving for phase difference?
It's not entirely clear what you mean by that. Please post an attempt based on that approach. An attempt is required by forum rules anyway, and it will clarify what you have in mind.

haruspex said:
It's not entirely clear what you mean by that. Please post an attempt based on that approach. An attempt is required by forum rules anyway, and it will clarify what you have in mind.
I apologize — after working on it again I arrived at the correct answer. I’m not entirely sure what I did the first time, but I suspect I didn’t convert degrees into radians when calculating difference in initial phase.

Likes Bystander

1. What is constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis?

Constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis is a phenomenon where two or more sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap and combine to produce a louder and more powerful sound. This occurs when the waves are in phase and their peaks and troughs align with each other.

2. How does constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis work?

When two or more sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude are emitted from speakers on an x-axis, they combine to form a new wave. If the waves are in phase, their amplitudes add up, resulting in a louder sound. This is because the peaks and troughs of the waves align with each other, creating a larger displacement of air molecules.

3. What are the benefits of using constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis?

The main benefit of using constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis is that it allows for a louder and more powerful sound to be produced. This is especially useful in large spaces or outdoor events where a higher volume is needed to reach a larger audience. It also helps to reduce distortion and improve the overall sound quality.

4. Are there any limitations to constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis?

One limitation of constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis is that it only works with sound waves of the same frequency and amplitude. If the waves have different frequencies or amplitudes, they will not align and may even cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker sound. Additionally, the positioning of the speakers and the environment can also affect the interference pattern.

5. How is constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis used in practical applications?

Constructive interference from speakers on an x-axis is commonly used in sound systems for concerts, events, and public address systems. It is also used in noise-cancelling headphones, where the sound waves from outside are cancelled out by creating an interference pattern with the opposite amplitude. In addition, it is used in various scientific experiments and studies to understand the behavior and properties of sound waves.