How can I calculate the moment generating function for moments about the mean?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter shaiguy6
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
shaiguy6
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to find a moment generating function about the mean. What I want is a function whose power series expansion gives you a power series where the x^n coefficient is the nth moment about the mean. normally, moment generating functions give you the raw moment (moment about 0). I'd like to convert these to moments about the mean.

Thanks for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shaiguy6 said:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to find a moment generating function about the mean. What I want is a function whose power series expansion gives you a power series where the x^n coefficient is the nth moment about the mean. normally, moment generating functions give you the raw moment (moment about 0). I'd like to convert these to moments about the mean.

Thanks for your help!

The MGF is E[e^(tX)], so to get the central moments if E[X]=m you calculate E[e^(t(X-m))]=e^(-tm)E[e^(tX)]
 
bpet said:
The MGF is E[e^(tX)], so to get the central moments if E[X]=m you calculate E[e^(t(X-m))]=e^(-tm)E[e^(tX)]


Thanks for your help, I don't know how I didn't get this on my own, ugh. Just in case someone uses this thread in the future: You still do the series expansion around 0 (not m) to get moments about a point m.