How can i calculate the velocity in a wind tunnel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
MattH150197
Messages
60
Reaction score
3
Ive done some wind tunnel experiments for a wing design i made, the wind tunnel was set to 50% power and the incidence angle was increased from -2 to 14 at 2 deg increments, how do i calculate the velocity for each recording? I've done this before but I am just having a mental block on remembering how to calculate the velocity as i haven't done any wind tunnel experiments in a couple of years. The recordings i took were: wind tunnel temp at the time of each recording, the Betz pressure reading of the wind tunnel for each recording and the atmospheric pressure of the lab room.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I operate wind tunnel for a living and I don't know what a Betz pressure reading is.

Did you not employ a Pitot probe of any kind?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
boneh3ad said:
I operate wind tunnel for a living and I don't know what a Betz pressure reading is.

Did you not employ a Pitot probe of any kind?
Sorry should have given the full name, betz manometer pressure readings, I think they it does a similar job as a pitot tube but is just cheaper for installation.
 
This is a diagram showing the location of the pressure readings.
 
Attachments
  • Betz Pressure Tapping.jpg
    Betz Pressure Tapping.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 824
Two pressures will give you a velocity difference. Use continuity to relate the two velocities assuming you know the contraction ratio.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MattH150197
Ah yeah of course, thank you very much!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman