How can i calculate the velocity in a wind tunnel

MattH150197
Ive done some wind tunnel experiments for a wing design i made, the wind tunnel was set to 50% power and the incidence angle was increased from -2 to 14 at 2 deg increments, how do i calculate the velocity for each recording? I've done this before but I am just having a mental block on remembering how to calculate the velocity as i haven't done any wind tunnel experiments in a couple of years. The recordings i took were: wind tunnel temp at the time of each recording, the Betz pressure reading of the wind tunnel for each recording and the atmospheric pressure of the lab room.

Answers and Replies

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I operate wind tunnel for a living and I don't know what a Betz pressure reading is.

Did you not employ a Pitot probe of any kind?

MattH150197
I operate wind tunnel for a living and I don't know what a Betz pressure reading is.

Did you not employ a Pitot probe of any kind?
Sorry should have given the full name, betz manometer pressure readings, I think they it does a similar job as a pitot tube but is just cheaper for installation.

MattH150197
This is a diagram showing the location of the pressure readings.

Attachments

• Betz Pressure Tapping.jpg
    Betz Pressure Tapping.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 628
boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Two pressures will give you a velocity difference. Use continuity to relate the two velocities assuming you know the contraction ratio.

Likes MattH150197
MattH150197
Ah yeah of course, thank you very much!

Suggested for: How can i calculate the velocity in a wind tunnel

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies