How can I calculate wall thickness for vacuum distillation?

In summary: Assuming you're talking about organic chemistry here, it would be safe to use a wall thickness of 1.5m.
saidi_farzad
Hi everybody,
I want to design two industrial vacuum distillation systems.
The dimension of my distillation tanks are as follow:
(1) A Horizontal Cylinder Tank with 200 cm length and 200cm diameter (total volume = 6300 liter)
(2) A Horizontal Cylinder Tank with 400 cm length and 290cm diameter (total volume = 26500 liter)
The material for both systems is Black Iron Sheet. The pressure and the temperature I want to work at are in the range of 0.1-0.07 mbar and 200-350 degree of centigrade.
But I don’t know what wall thickness for the distillation systems is safe?
By the way, I am an organic chemistry expert, so I don’t know much about design of distillation systems (which is an engineering problem).

Engineering news on Phys.org
A basic method would be to find your allowable stress based on your material and temperature, the pressure of the fluid and the outer diameter of your tank and apply the formula:

[tex]t = \frac{PD}{2S}[/tex]

However if you can, you can use applicable ASME Boiler and pressure vessel codes.

saidi_farzad said:
Hi everybody,
I want to design two industrial vacuum distillation systems.
The dimension of my distillation tanks are as follow:
(1) A Horizontal Cylinder Tank with 200 cm length and 200cm diameter (total volume = 6300 liter)
(2) A Horizontal Cylinder Tank with 400 cm length and 290cm diameter (total volume = 26500 liter)
The material for both systems is Black Iron Sheet. The pressure and the temperature I want to work at are in the range of 0.1-0.07 mbar and 200-350 degree of centigrade.
But I don’t know what wall thickness for the distillation systems is safe?
By the way, I am an organic chemistry expert, so I don’t know much about design of distillation systems (which is an engineering problem).
Since your field of expertise is organic chemistry, it would be wise to consult a mechanical engineer to assist you with this project.

Since this is intended to be industrial equipment, I'm surprised there isn't an engineer involved in this project already. :))

1. How does the pressure affect wall thickness in vacuum distillation?

In vacuum distillation, the pressure inside the vessel is significantly lower than atmospheric pressure. This creates a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the vessel, resulting in an outward force on the walls. The lower the pressure, the greater the force, so the wall thickness must be increased to withstand this force.

2. What other factors besides pressure should be considered when calculating wall thickness for vacuum distillation?

In addition to pressure, the material of the vessel and the operating temperature should also be taken into account. Different materials have different strength and temperature limits, so the appropriate wall thickness will vary. Additionally, the type of vacuum distillation process being used may also impact the necessary wall thickness.

3. How can I determine the appropriate safety factor to use in wall thickness calculations for vacuum distillation?

The safety factor for wall thickness calculations should be determined based on the specific material and design of the vessel, as well as the operating conditions. Generally, a safety factor of at least 3 is recommended for vacuum distillation to account for potential variations in pressure and temperature that may occur during operation.

4. Can I use a standard formula to calculate wall thickness for vacuum distillation?

While there are some general formulas that can be used as a starting point for calculating wall thickness, they may not take into account all the necessary factors for vacuum distillation. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer who has experience with vacuum distillation in order to accurately determine the appropriate wall thickness for your specific application.

5. Are there any industry standards or regulations for wall thickness in vacuum distillation?

There are various international standards and codes that provide guidelines for designing and calculating wall thickness for different types of vessels, including those used in vacuum distillation. These standards may also specify minimum safety factors and other requirements for ensuring the structural integrity of the vessel. It is important to consult these standards and regulations when calculating wall thickness for vacuum distillation to ensure compliance and safety.