Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

200,000 psi Hydraulic pressure vessel wall thickness?

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    I'm Having a part machined with a cylinder shape approximately 14 inches in length with a cylinder hole in the center with a diameter of .930 . I have no idea how thick the cylinder wall needs to be. I have looked up and used hoop stress calculators online but I do not understand if they take into account the type of material that I am using. I will be using a high-grade 4340 vacuum melt steel. After the heat treating process is complete it will have a ultimate tensile strength of approximately 260,000 psi. I can get the material data sheet listed if that would help. This part needs to be able to withstand a 200,000 PSI working pressure. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have no idea how thick the wall needs to be on a cylinder which is supposed to withstand 200,000 psi, you are wasting your time and money having a piece machined. What happens if the wall is too thin? What do you do then?

You have no idea what you are doing. I urge you to stop immediately and consult a professional engineer to see if it is even feasible to make such a cylinder. This is something which should not be left to stress calculators on the web and asking questions on anonymous forums.

4. Dec 2, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

SteamKing said it all.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook