How can I describe geometrically the transformation ACA-1 ?

In summary, if P is not on the x-axis, then PP' is bisected by the x-axis and is at a constant angle to the x-axis.
Natasha1
If A represents the matrix of a rotation of 45 degrees anti-clockwise around (0,0), B a shear with x-axis invariant and shear factor of 2, and C a reflection in the x-axis.

My answer is a rotation of 90 degrees anti-clockwise around (0,0) but surely there is more than that? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
If A represents the matrix of a rotation of 45 degrees anti-clockwise around (0,0), B a shear with x-axis invariant and shear factor of 2, and C a reflection in the x-axis.

My answer is a rotation of 90 degrees anti-clockwise around (0,0) but surely there is more than that? :frown:

There is no B in this problem? Think about what happens to the unit vectors in the x and y directions. Since A corresponds to a 45 degree rotation anti-clockwise, A-1 corresponds to its opposite, a 45 degree rotation clockwise. The vector i is changed by A-1 to the vector [itex]\frac{sqrt{2}}{2}(i- j)[/itex], then by C to [itex]\frac{sqrt{2}}{2}(i+ j)[itex], then by A to j. Okay, that's been rotated 90 anti-clockwise. The vector j is changed by A-1 to [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(i+ j)[\itex], then by C to [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(i- j)[/itex] and finally by A to i. No, that's not a rotation by 90 degrees anti-clockwise! It is a reflection about what line?

HallsofIvy said:
There is no B in this problem? Think about what happens to the unit vectors in the x and y directions. Since A corresponds to a 45 degree rotation anti-clockwise, A-1 corresponds to its opposite, a 45 degree rotation clockwise. The vector i is changed by A-1 to the vector [itex]\frac{sqrt{2}}{2}(i- j)[/itex], then by C to [itex]\frac{sqrt{2}}{2}(i+ j)[itex], then by A to j. Okay, that's been rotated 90 anti-clockwise. The vector j is changed by A-1 to [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(i+ j)[\itex], then by C to [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(i- j)[/itex] and finally by A to i. No, that's not a rotation by 90 degrees anti-clockwise! It is a reflection about what line?

line y = x :redface:

Way to go!

That done I need to show that if P' is the image of P under D=BCB-1. If P is not on the x-axis, then PP' is bisected by the x-axis and is at a constant angle to the x-axis, for any choice of P?

I can visually see what's happening and can see that the angle is 90 degrees but how can I show it? :uhh:

Could anyone help me with the last question? Please:cry:

What is a geometric transformation?

A geometric transformation is a process that changes the position, size, or shape of a geometric figure while preserving its essential properties, such as angles and lengths.

What does ACA-1 mean in terms of geometric transformations?

ACA-1 refers to a specific type of geometric transformation, known as an affine transformation. Affine transformations preserve parallel lines and ratios of distances, and they include rotations, translations, reflections, and dilations.

How can I describe a geometric transformation using ACA-1?

A geometric transformation can be described using ACA-1 by specifying the coordinates of the pre-image (original figure) and the coordinates of the image (transformed figure) in a coordinate plane. ACA-1 is used to calculate the new coordinates of the image based on the original coordinates and the transformation matrix, which contains information about the type and amount of transformation.

What is the difference between geometric and non-geometric transformations?

Geometric transformations only change the position, size, or shape of a geometric figure. Non-geometric transformations, such as perspective transformations, can also alter the appearance or orientation of the figure. Additionally, geometric transformations preserve the basic properties of the figure, while non-geometric transformations may not.

Why are geometric transformations important in mathematics and science?

Geometric transformations are essential in mathematics and science because they allow us to study and understand the relationships between objects and how they change. They are used in fields such as geometry, computer graphics, and engineering to model and visualize real-world phenomena, analyze data, and solve problems.