How can I determine the best design for clamping teeth for a clamping device?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Su Solberg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Design Teeth
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Su Solberg
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Dear All,

I am designing a clamping teeth for a clamping device.
The clamping device is to pulling I beam pile from the ground for recycling mounted on a hydraulic jack.
I wonder how could I determine the depth of the teeth, number of teeth and the angle of teeth. As the teeth will grab into the I beam and leave a permanent grab mark, I wonder what design guide I can follow.

Seem it related to energy method, am I correct??

Thanks for your kind help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Su.
Does it have to be teeth? I ask only because I suspect that non-slip pads such as a silicone compound might be more appropriate.
 
Danger said:
Hi, Su.
Does it have to be teeth? I ask only because I suspect that non-slip pads such as a silicone compound might be more appropriate.

I am reference to the clamping teeth of a Casing Vibrator which use high carbon steel.
The pulling force would be around 10 ton + friction.
 
I see. That's a lot bigger scale than I was thinking of.
 
Since the clamping method is destructive (which is a quite rare method), I wonder how would be the calculation rather than copying the stuff from an existing clamp.
 
I'm afraid that I have to bail on this conversation due to a lack of competency. Good luck with it.