Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I display my framerate while playing games?

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    When I'm playing games such as Crysis, Crysis Warhead, STALKER Clear Sky, Far Cry 2, Battlefield 2, as well as others. Is there any way to display my frame rate in-game? Do I have to download a program for this? I heard that FRAPS displays your FPS during game play, but actually takes a lot out of your system, and actually cuts your FPS almost in half.

Is there anything I can type into the console which would show me my FPS?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2
    For Crysis; "r_DisplayInfo = 1" and "r_DisplayInfo = 0"
    Stalker; "rs_stats on" and "rs_stats off"
    FarCry2; "ShowFPS 1" and "ShowFPS 0"
    Battlefield2; "renderer.drawfps 1" and "renderer.drawfps 0"

You're right about FRAPS using quite a bit of resources. That's why it's not a good idea to use it to compare with other systems out there. It's decent at noting before-and-after changes to your system though.

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    Thank you!

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4
    Those console commands did work. With sun shadows turned off, I get 45-90 FPS in STALKER Clear Sky. With sun shadows turned on, my FPS goes haywire. Could I maybe turn on some AA and still get good frames?

6. Dec 16, 2009 #5
    you can do it but its depend that which type of http://www.funrocker.com/games/computer-games.html" [Broken] you playing if your are playing some 3D game than no issue otherwise i think there will be some problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook